1. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Fixing a partial install on FreeBSD

Okay ... so I screwed up on my first install for my server. I chose to install the Apache 2 server and some other ports/packages in sysinstall. One being php 4 and mysql, for obvious reasons. That (I guess) seemed to also install Apache 1.3.

After trying to get php 4 to install I finaly found out that Apache 2 and php 4 don't like each other. So I took some advice and uninstalled Apache 2 from sysinstall. When I went to investigate Apache 1.3, I found that it wasn't all there. Ither Apache 2 installed over it or deleted Apache 1.3 files along with it. But now when I tried to install Apache 1.3 from the sysinstall it wouldn't let me because I would have to uninstall it first, and it won't let me uninstall because its required by other ports.

So now what do I do? I've not rilly ever fiddled with FreeBSD and don't know how to fix this problem.

Please help however you can... thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    contains a pressurised widget

i am by no means an authority.. but now that you have freeBSD installed.. if you have a connection to the internet there, it's time to stop using sysinstall. cvsup the ports tree, and start installing from there.

WELCOME TO FREEBSD! My OS of choice. May everything run a bit smoother for you than it has so far.

you'll also want to read this chapter:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/ports.html

(I know you probably don't like seeing answers that are links to the manual, but now that you're in *BSD land.. there's a lot of reading ahead.. but don't worry, you'll be very glad you learned it once you have)

do all of this as a user who has SU'd. (once you have given the wheel group a user, don't log in as root unless you absolutely have to)

if you are going to reinstall the very thing that you are deinstalling.. then i would say you are best to do a pkg_delete with the -f flag. This will delete the package, and ignore the dependencies.

Then after you have cvsup'd the ports tree(some changes were made to apache13 within the past couple of months) cd /usr/ports/www/apache13 and make install clean.

of course, don't try any of the stuff i've said until you've confirmed it in the handbook (/usr/share/doc/handbook) and the man pages.

ADD: oh yeah.. and i did three full installs of FreeBSD the first time before I got it working. . i made lots of mistakes.
    Last edited by c444l; January 30th, 2004 at 06:11 AM.
  5. Registered User

Thanks c444l

No, no c444l your right you arn't an authority, but I shuld be installing from the ports tree. In fact I just did and it seems to be working, however I have a new problem look here:
    apxs2 problems with Apache 1.3/Apache 2
    Thanks for your help!!!
    SamE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo