1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeBSD 8 and pkg_add - how can I make it work?

I am pretty new to FreeBSD and, I confess, I have not read the entire FreeBSD book; I'm 58 and work 7 days a week running a warehouse - I just haven't got as much time as I need to do everything I need to do...

Anyway, I've got a mail server humming along on FreeBSD and I wanted to build a redundant server - but I like to build a desktop so I can work on the thing in a graphical environment. I assumed that pkg_add -r xorg (and gnome) would work with any distro. Now I understand that it takes some fiddling if a distro is not current. I don't even have a DVD drive in my pc to install 8.1. Can anyone tell me preciesly what I need to do to make pkg_add work. A buddy said I needed to horse with the make.conf file and specify a host or something - it was pretty vague... Any tips would be appreciated.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I realize that this post is a bit late, but you're probably best off running /stand/sysinstall for this and selecting the X packages to install.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo