1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeBSD/i386 Username Password Problems

Well on my other computer my Harddrive got Fried, so i took another HD from a random computer in my basement, i put it in and it has, of course, FreeBSD. It gets through all of its stuff and come to stuff that looks like this

FreeBSD/i386 (some long server name) (ttyv0)

Login:

Is there a way i can get on this harddrive? way to get another User or find out any old ones? if telling you the Server name or w/e helps please let me know.

Thank You
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    You can boot it in single user mode and change the root password to anything you like. Here's how to do it:

1. For older freebsd systems, when booting up, it should give you a message to press Enter to boot /kernel or hit any key within 5 seconds (or words to that effect). Instead of typing Enter, type any other key and then type boot -s and then press enter. This will boot the kernel up in single user mode.

In newer versions of freebsd, it should give you a "Welcome to FreeBSD" message" followed by a number of boot options. Hit Space here and then select option 4 (boot in single user mode) and hit enter.

2. You will then see a prompt like this:
    Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
    Hit enter here and you'll be presented with a shell.

3. At the prompt, type mount -a to mount everything.

4. Type passwd and change the root password to something you choose. If you want to change a user's password as well, you can type passwd name_of_user to change any user's password.

5. Type exit to reboot in multi-user mode.

Now you should be able to login as root with the password you chose.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo