1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeBSD post install mounts

Hello All.

I just "purchased" a dedicated server. It has FreeBSD 6.1 installed on it with an 80GB hard drive. Unfortunately there is no disk labeling. Typically, on my own systems, I partition/or label /, swap, /tmp, /usr, /home, and /var (I run my mysql db on /var) seperately.

I have gotten a hard disk upgrade so now I have 280 GB but its all under /.

Heres the question....can I change the labeling from /, to the five I mentioned above, without erasing/damaging data and installed programs (from the ports) that are already installed?

Thanks.
    Anyways
  3. No Profile Picture
    Needs a pillow.... :)
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

So the disk is not partitioned at all?
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jtalerico
    So the disk is not partitioned at all?
    There are two disks (i have trouble with differentiating partition, mounting and labeling in Unix). One is ad0 (via fdisk) has

<none>
    SWAP *

The other is ad2 and is not mounted.

I have never partitioned or labeled in unix ecept during an initial installation.

I have already installed mysql, Apache, webmin, some shells etc. I had originally asked that the provider partition the disk in a specific way. They didnt do it. Short of doing a remote installation (which i would prefer not to do) I am not sure what my options are.

For instance, the obvious example is if I have 15GB of apps in /usr, and I label /usr as 10GB,..it seems like that would cause loss of data.
    Last edited by PhackedUp; August 15th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

I would start over and partition the drive. Personally. I have never dealt with a provider so not sure what hoops you are going to have to go through.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jtalerico
    I would start over and partition the drive. Personally. I have never dealt with a provider so not sure what hoops you are going to have to go through.
    OK thanks for the input. They probably charge me some ridiculuous price but it may just be better than messing around with this remotely.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can make these changes in sysinstall and then you'd have to make sure it gets written to your fstab file, but I HIGHLY recommend against this unless you know what you're doing...
  13. No Profile Picture

Assuming he has root access he can do all that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo