1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeBSD Question.

I have talked to some people on IRC. And they said that FreeBSD isn't really desktop worthy. And the lack of drivers available to it. Is this true? Or They just saying that so I can go use something like Ubuntu or whatever. And that FreeBsd or *bsd, really is just to be useful for server?
  3. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

They have a point; FreeBSD is very powerful and is ideal for a server, but may not fit what you want in a desktop. I can tell you the Linux distros can be much easier and more 'user friendly' and can give you the ability to emulate Windows applications, if that's what you want.

Go to freebsd.org and do some reading. If you have an older, spare PC, download the ISO and install it, poke around a bit.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have an older pc, but not any spare one.
  7. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The bottom line is, if you're asking our opinion whether to install and try Linux or FreeBSD, I'd start with one of the Linux distros you can run from 'live cd', like Knoppix or the aforementioned Ubuntu. You can also try FreeSBIE, a live cd variation of FreeBSD.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Although I only tried this distro out for a week or so on a very old machine I no longer use, I had no problems with it and I think it might be worth a shot to try.

"DesktopBSD aims at being a stable and powerful operating system for desktop users.

DesktopBSD combines the stability of FreeBSD, the usability and functionality of KDE and the simplicity of specially developed software to provide a system that's easy to use and install."

http://www.desktopbsd.net/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo