1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HELP! I've installed OpenSSH and can't log in now!

Hi,

Ok. I've done something really, really stupid. Feel free to take the piss as much as you want, but please help me!

I've installed OpenSSH on my FreeBSD 4.4 machine that I usually access via telnet. I now cannot access it either by ssh or by telnet.

If i try to login via telnet I just get 'login incorrect' every time. If i try to use ssh it fails the password authentication.

I have attached a monitor to the unit and tried to log on directly and all i can do is log on with root and it doesn't even ask for the password!!!

Please help me!

Charkus
    Charkus
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Erm......

It deleted all the users. That's why I couldn't log on with anyone, and why root had no password.

Sorry for being stupid

Does anyone know why it did this? Seems a little wierd to me...

Charkus
    Charkus
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> I've installed OpenSSH on my FreeBSD 4.4 machine that I usually access via telnet

FreeBSD comes with sshd by default. Why need to install SSH manually? All you need to do is to append sshd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

>> why root had no password

What type of authentication are you using? Check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to find out.

BTW, you should remove your self-installed SSHd, make sure you are not running multiple SSHd.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I originally did a custom install and just installed the binary base installation which did not install sshd. It's the first time I've noticed this, but checking on another machine with the same install options, sshd is missing there too.

Strangely, sshd_enable="YES" was already in the rc.conf even though sshd wasn't installed!

The authentication options in sshd_config are:
    RSAAuthetication yes
    PasswordAuthentication yes

The actual problem was that installing OpenSSH had actually overwritten a few files, and deleted my users. It had overwritten my custom inetd.conf as well.
    All I had to do was re-create my users, edit inetd.conf and everything was fine again!

Charkus
    Charkus
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> did a custom install and just installed the binary base installation which did not install sshd

Who doesn't install FreeBSD with binary installation for a fresh install? Whatever install type, say FTP, you still need to fetch the precompiled binaries - a binary installation. Not to mention when sshd comes with the base distribution, so how could you possibly remove sshd accidentically?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I didn't remove it. It just wasn't there from the beginning.

Also, if you re-read my statement:

I did a custom install and just installed the binary base installation.

It means I ONLY installed the binary base installation. I was just telling you what was actually on the system. sshd was not installed. I'm the only person with access to the system so I know it hasn't been removed afterwards.
    Charkus

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo