1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

logging problems

As told by a senior bsd member i installed bsd on 1.5gb partiotion along with win98.luckily the installation was successful i guess,i did not lose anydata on my other partitions.the only problem is during boot up.i have to set my bios settin in LBA mode and not in normal mode as people say unix needs.But i just cannot login in the sys.it prompts me for an incorrect login.although i use the same id and pwd as i did durin my installation.can u plz help me out with this.do i have to do the whole installation process again.
    also when i use partition magic in windows i see that the whole of 1.5 gb is been used up.why is this so.???did i do anythin wrong durin the installation.plz do help me cuz im very new at installing o.s's.also at the time of installation when setting the user groups i got an error mess. stating
    'THE PW COMMAND EXITED WITH AN UNEXPECTED ERROR'.can u plz help me.
    Last edited by axl; December 21st, 2001 at 12:48 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> As told by a senior bsd member

If you're referring to me, I am just a senior member of Devshed, not bsd though.

>> not in normal mode as people say unix needs

Who said it?

>> it prompts me for an incorrect login

Login in single-user mode and reset your root password. You probably didn't do it right during initial install.

>> although i use the same id and pwd as i did durin my installation

It's fine not to create another non-root user during initial install.

>> do i have to do the whole installation process again

Only if Normal-mode screwed things up.

>> i see that the whole of 1.5 gb is been used up

Partition magic probably can't see. Just don't worry about it.

>> did i do anythin wrong durin the installation

You didn't tell us steps by steps, therefore we have no way of knowing. Instead, you should have up FreeBSD handbook and try to figure out what you haven't done right.

>> when setting the user groups i got an error mess

Are you doing it via /stand/sysinstall or manually? That error shouldn't harm your system, just read the handbook and add a non-root user later on.

Just so you know, as I always said, dualbooting is bad, don't do it if at all possible.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo