March 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
well, installing a new box is really a great learning experience
this time, named. details:
1. during the startup process, "named ready for queries" can be found.
2. at the end of the boot, the "login: " prompt appears.
3. after a while, comes the message "pccardd started", that means my network pccard is ok now.
4. "nslookup" gives the error "can't find the hostname for 192.168.156.31 (the address of the name server set by me)". no matter if i give the debug option.
5. ps i can find the "named" process started in the boot.
6. run named again, obviously i will see some messages like "53 port already taken"... "ready for queries". but now hostname and ip's can be resolved perfectly. ps i can find the 2 named processes.
the causes i thought: during the boot, my network pccard has not been ifconfigured yet, so named is not started properly. after the msg "pccardd started" appears, the net card is really ok now, so the 2nd-time named can be started correctly and work well.
does this cause make sense? how to solve this problem?
March 6th, 2002, 03:01 PM
4) because likely you are not running authoritative DNS server for your LAN (192.168.x.x).
>> does this cause make sense?
No. NIC has higher startup priority than named service and they don't rely on each other. ifconfig would need named if it needs to resolve 192.168.156.31 to its FQDN but that's not the case.