1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

NForce4 NIC card not detected on boot

I pruchased an Asus MB with the nForce4 chipset, which other than the NIC card seems to be working fine. The issue is that even after replacing the default drivers with the OpenBSD nfe ones, the card is still nto detected on boot, yet the drivers are being loaded (as the errors "device already loaded" when I manually add it into the loader.conf file attest)

has anyone experieinced this issue at all and if so, anything that I should be looking at that I may have overlooked?
  3. 63 dorinte

I recently built a machine with a ASUS P5LD2-VM mainboard and FreeBSD which had some difficulties. The network adapter is an Intel. The FreeBSD installer found the network adapter, configured it, then could not find it again. That problem went away after I disabled the ACPI-2.0 support in the BIOS (that may have been coincidence, I have no proof that that was the solution). This machine also booted fine from the install CD, ran the installer from the CD, then could not find the CD-ROM drive again! I have not figured that one out yet, I gave up and installed via FTP after the network adapter was working.

Does your network adapter have a boot ROM that may need configuring (or disabling)? I disabled mine (just making guesses at this point)

Ben N1NP
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by n1np
    I recently built a machine with a ASUS P5LD2-VM mainboard and FreeBSD which had some difficulties. The network adapter is an Intel. The FreeBSD installer found the network adapter, configured it, then could not find it again. That problem went away after I disabled the ACPI-2.0 support in the BIOS (that may have been coincidence, I have no proof that that was the solution). This machine also booted fine from the install CD, ran the installer from the CD, then could not find the CD-ROM drive again! I have not figured that one out yet, I gave up and installed via FTP after the network adapter was working.

Does your network adapter have a boot ROM that may need configuring (or disabling)? I disabled mine (just making guesses at this point)

Ben N1NP
    I tried disabling the BOOT ROM to no avail. On or off, it will load the drivers, but the NIC will not be detected.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo