1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

pccard & sound & X11 questions on FreeBSD

Hi all, i'm a bit new to configuring FBSD.

Yesterday, i tried to configure the network pccard (PCMCIA D-Link DE 660) on my notebook computer (PIII 366) with newly installed FreeBSD 4.1.1. (I didn't redownload the new 4.5 because of bandwith limitation.)

At first, the error message "Device not configured" always appeared at the boot time although the card and the model are correctly detected. I recoganized that there must be some inconsistancy in the setting entries in the files /etc/rc.conf and /etc/pccard.conf.

Later I (hopefully) corrected this error (after searching on the net to look at many relative pages, I have to say the HOWTOs section of FreeBSD is much worse than the documentation of Linux) because I saw sth. like "inserted in slot 1" during the boot and no longer the "Device not configured" error message. But now I encountered some more new errors (always before all are settled down ).

1. I could no longer ping to 127.0.0.1, it said "no route to the host", well i set the defaultrouter to "192.168.156.1" but does this matter? Before I successfully configured the card1 device, I can ping to 127.0.0.1.

2. at boot time, system says it can not find device "ed" (or "ed0", "ed1", "card1" that I tried in the "networkinterfaces" directive in the rc.conf file). ifconfig only gives out faith0, fig0, fig1, fig2, fig3, lo0, sl0, ppp0. How can I add such network device to the ifconfig output list (i.e. to let the kernel know its existance)?

I suppose the problem may originate from the pre-installation phase during with I skip the user customization of the device list and just use the lazy quick install option. Must I reinstall the system again to do this user customization? Is there any way that I can get around the re-installation?

3. my nslookup also does not work now, probably it's related to the addressing problem of 127.0.0.1.

4. one side error is "reboot" command does not really reboot my laptop, it only halts the box. This might have nothing to do with the network pccard. I have to power the box off then on again to reboot it. What might be the problem?

5. when I tried to ftp from a windows box to my newly installed FreeBSD box, i was surprised to find that the files in some directories can't be shown correctly. Only several ones are listed, the others just didn't show up at all! When I drag the whole directory to the win box, the same consequence, only part of the files are downloaded actually.

I was using a cuteftp. The server side is the default ftp server (LS?) on the FreeBSD box. Using non-anonymous login. When I tried with the command-line ftp on the win box, everything looked fine. This is really wierd.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wujie; March 5th, 2002 at 03:15 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) NEVER ALTER YOUR /etc/defaults/rc.conf by hand.
    The loopback device is automatically configured at boot time because of the following line in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"

>> it said "no route to the host"

The fix is:
    1) cd /usr/src/etc
    2) mkdir /destdir
    3) setenv DESTDIR /destdir
    4) make distrib-dirs distribution
    5) cd /destdir/etc/defaults
    6) cp -Rp * /etc/defaults/
    7) reboot

Or just run ifconfig by hand.

2) Just add the following to /etc/rc.conf (not /etc/defaults/rc.conf):

ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.156.X netmask 255.255.255.0"

Replace the X appropriately.

3) Read (1)

4) Use shutdown -r now instead. Or you can add alias reboot /sbin/shutdown -r now to your .cshrc.

>> I skip the user customization of the device list

Very bad practice. Anyway, check what's in your /boot/kernel.conf, you probably want to have something like this in it:

di pcic0
    di sio1
    di ppc0
    di sn0
    di lnc0
    di ie0
    di fe0
    di cs0
    di bt0
    di aic0
    di aha0
    di adv0
    q
    Last edited by freebsd; March 5th, 2002 at 01:38 AM.
  5. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Shouldn't he also be using:

pccard_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Shouldn't he also be using: pccard_enable="YES"

Of course, that's a must for him but it's another story because he messed everything (including loopback) up. Though it's possible that he misconfigured ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1" to something else in /etc/rc.conf but likely he altered /etc/defaults/rc.conf by hand. My fix in the previous post was to restore original rc.conf from src, and doing it the right way.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

more (TFT, sound card...)

FreeBSD, thanx for your reply.

Well I did modify "/etc/defaults/rc.conf", but NEVER touched the line of ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"!!! Although I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, I know what this line means. And actually I undo the modifications in the default file and moved all of them in the /etc/rc.conf file after I read the description in the default file. But still the problems I stated in my last post.

Actually I got the new 4.5-1 Release after pulling my hairs for quite some time and recoganizing that new Releases always get rid of most existing bugs/deficits/problems. When I read your reply, I already get the 4.5-1 installed and my network PC-card configured properly by the install program itself, no bother modifying rc.conf and pccard.conf!

I have some further questions:

1. how can I check the line frequency and the field frequency of a TFT LCD? I don't remember where I've put the included specification, maybe lost. The system always take it as 640x480 with 256 colors. But I remember I can get 800x600 with 16M colors in Windows. When I choose a 800x600 (60Hz) in the X configure with 16M color, the X server couldn't be started.

2. It seems that some frequently used packages such as apache, inn, mysql are not included in the installation CD, while in the early releases e.g. 4.1.1 they are. I know I can separately download them, I'm just curious, why the maintainers make such change?

3. sound card problem. Mine is Maestro 2E. I add the device pcm and sbc(0) in MYKERNEL and rebuild, reboot. But no luck. I tried both "sbc" and "sbc0" in the config file because I have no idea if it's PnP or not. But I always got the error messages when starting up the laptop:

pcm0: agg_rdcodec() RW_DONE timed out.
    pcm0: ac97 codec init failed.
    unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources.
    unknown: <NSC6001> can't assign resources.

I searched on line and found another guy had the same problem last year "http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/163/2000/8/150/4208513/", but have not solved it yet. Does anybody here have any clue?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Well I did modify "/etc/defaults/rc.conf"

Don't do this again.

>> but NEVER touched the line of ifconfig_lo0

But other lines affect it. Just don't touch anything in /etc/defaults/*.

For your other questions:

1) Check with your vendor, go to their web site to find out.

>> But I remember I can get 800x600 with 16M colors in Windows

Don't count on your memory, check with your vendor. If you misconfigured the HorizSync and VertRefresh your TFT LCD can be screwed big time and send to /dev/null immediately.

2) >> why the maintainers make such change?

Because many software are not allowed to be redistributed in binary format.

>> I know I can separately download them

In BSD you don't need to because you should install software from ports tree and the tarballs are fetched automatically.

3) >> I have no idea if it's PnP or not

It appears to be a true PCI card, so specify just one line, no more no less:

device pcm
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

about FTP

Thanks FreeBSD. I will try to rebuild with only the pcm line.

I wrongly appended the following in the original post instead of the replying post just now.

5. when I tried to ftp from a windows box to my newly installed FreeBSD box, i was surprised to find that the files in some directories can't be shown correctly. Only several ones are listed, the others just didn't show up at all! When I drag the whole directory to the win box, the same consequence, only part of the files are downloaded actually.

I was using a cuteftp. The server side is the default ftp server (LS?) on the FreeBSD box. Using non-anonymous login. When I tried with the command-line ftp on the win box, everything looked fine. This is really wierd.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

> 2) >> why the maintainers make such change?
    >
    > Because many software are not allowed to be redistributed in
    > binary format.

but they (apache, mysql, inn) were all included in R4.1.1 installation disk.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

> It appears to be a true PCI card, so specify just one line, no more no less:
    >
    > device pcm

doesn't work... pity... anyway thanks.

It seems lots of people have trouble setting up Maestro sound card on FreeBSD boxes, has anyone here successfully configured it and could she share her experience with us?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo