1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting server software

I would appreciate some help.

Background :
    I have had a virtual server (freebsd) for some time so have "some" limited server admin knowledge.

I recently bought a server on which someone has installed freebsd. The server is in Canada and I am in Switzerland so I 've never physically seen the box.

I asked the person to install the various software packages I thought I would need, but apparently but it seems he didn't. As it was a favour I don't want to push my luck, besides I don't mind learning how to do it myself.

Now I have a running server, with freebsd installed and I can log in with both telnet and ftp. I have had a poke around in the various directories and it looks like just a bare o/s install.

Future :
    So the first question is, what do I do next and what should I install first. I am primarily going to be using the server as a name server and I think bind is already running because I can do a dig query and get a result. Apart from a nameserver I want the ability to load a web site on the server. I have a single IP for the server for the moment.

Before somone tells me to read a book, - I can do that just fine, but I am look for step by step guidance as what I should do/read first. and one step at a time is just fine.

Basically I dont want to mess anything up by doing the wrong thing or doing them out of order - that is my main concern.

TIA.

: ----- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ----- :
    : ---- You can't judge a man by his clothes ...or from his name ---- :
    : ------ But you can tell a lot about him ...from his signature !!! ------ :
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> but apparently but it seems he didn't

He did the right thing. If you want particular software, you configure/customize it, you install it.

>> I don't mind learning how to do it myself

It's as easy as cd'ing to /usr/ports/xxx/yyy then run make instlal clean (if you accept the default configure options).

>> what should I install first

It's all about personal preference. But don't forget, there are at least 100 essential tasks you should first configure/do before installing anything from packages or ports collection.

>> I can do a dig query and get a result

BIND's fault. dig is a DNS client tool. It doesn't necessarily mean BIND is already running. Further, like I always said, many people use confusing terminology because of BIND, which integrates a caching DNS resolver and a DNS server into one package, making people say "DNS server" when they are really talking about a "DNS resolver". Just so you know, those BIND people don't even have a clue what DNS is all about. Unfortunately BIND is wildly used, making 40% of DNS administrators all over the world DNS illiterate. Most of their DNS servers are misconfigured in some ways. All I have to say is, be a real man and run djbdns.

>> I dont want to mess anything up

Very bad learning attitude. If you don't mess things up, you can't improve, you can't learn from your mistakes.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Freebsd, you may be the expert here, but that is not what I call a very helpful post.

At the risk of starting out on the wrong foot, I don't really care about what you think is the right thing or a good learning attitude. I have my own standards to judge that by and will stick to them.

Now I thought this is a technical forum wher I get technical help and not some lecture on standards or attitudes, so I would much rather you restrict any responses to providing the information I am seeking help with.

And I don't need a response to my comments, please let's just keep this about what I am trying to do.

You said "It's all about personal preference."

I't' not about preferences for me. I'm not at the point where I can decide on preference yet. I first need to know what the packages are that I need to install to run the things I want. This may all be obvious to you, but this is my first time venturing something like this, so you have to imagine you are a total newbie to understand my position.

You also said "But don't forget, there are at least 100 essential tasks you should first configure/do before installing anything from packages or ports collection."

It would be much more helpful if you actually listed a few.

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> but that is not what I call a very helpful post

I'd think that was a very helpful advice from a BSD user (with several experiences but no expert) to a beginner. Of course, that was just my personal opionion, if you don't take it, I bet you're making your life tougher. To become a true BSD user, you'd need to take my advice and don't fear of making mistakes. If you are that worry, maybe you should stick with Redhat, so you can use all those GUI tools, just to make your life easier.

>> I't' not about preferences for me

I do not know you in person, neither do you. How do we know what you'd want to do with your box mostly? You should have provided sufficient details and your background in order for us to have a clue in the first place.

>> you actually listed a few

I am not going to repeat my 10th time. You should do a search over this forum, especially the first few posts.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You just can't help youself can you?

Don't assume things about others. If you read my original post, you would have realised :

a. I am using freesbd now - and not redhat etc as you assume

b. I did provide you with details of what I want to do with my server

If you are going to persist on the "personal opinions" level, please don't bother responding to any future posts from me.

11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't worry I won't anymore. Your username has just been added to my Devshed banlist. Good Luck!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ais,

Actually, you don't tell us what you wish to run server. There have many different types of server to run, which you never tell us what package you wish to install. Maybe, you should read your own post too and you will finding out that you don't provide us the enough details.

Here, I am getting better and better with FreeBSD box, because I am listening to a lot of freebsd's posts.

>> Before somone tells me to read a book

Well, the truth is you are better off to read freebsd.org 's handbook first, before post in here. There have very good steps in this handbook. From what I read your post, which you don't have the good attitude of desire to learn about FreeBSD without search.

freebsd said, "Very bad learning attitude. If you don't mess things up, you can't improve, you can't learn from your mistakes."

He is 100% right. You will have to learn and play around with FreeBSD first before you can run a server.

From what I read freebsd's post, he is trying to help and tell the real facts, but you blew it up with your attitudes. You are asking for help and opinion, then you don't like to follow people's answer. Also, you seem care to get the answer then configure there without read the handbook and learn it. That makes no sense at all! My believe is that's your big loss, because freebsd can answers many questions as he can.

Sorry, I don't have the answer for your topic because I am currently learning freebsd and other stuffs. Also, I have no idea what to answer.

Regards,
    Mezz
    Last edited by mezz; January 29th, 2002 at 03:01 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why is is that some people always feel the need to lecture and to judge things by their own stadards. Don't you realise we are all different and need to be to make this old world work.

Well I am going to assume my english was so bad that I need to explain things again.

You assume you know why I said don't tell me to read a book, but...

Well the truth is I do a lot of reading. Way more than the average person. I know how to find my way around manuals. I always consult manuals before I seek help in forums.

So why did I come here, because the question is not one to which the answer is in a manual. My question relates to how to best proceed rather than how to do something specific. Once I determine should be done next, then I will research it and get it - that part is not the issue.

As for not mentioning what I am doing with the server, well I wrote this : "I am primarily going to be using the server as a name server and I think bind is already running because I can do a dig query and get a result. Apart from a nameserver I want the ability to load a web site on the server."

Now not sure how to explain it better but let's try :

1. Use it as a name server
    2. Use it as a web server

As for messing things up - well like I said we are all different. I prefer to learn from "controlled" mistakes.

Why suggest I read the freebsd handbook? (apart from the fact that I have read a lot of it) - I think you are misreading my question or do I need to explain what I was asking.

Well maybe just read the question again.

As for freebsd. I have over time seen many posts from him where he has helped people and I commend him for that. I could just do without the attitude and persoanl assumptions/opinions, but it seems from his previous response he is simply not capable of keeping things on a non-personal level.

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

for apache

cd /usr/ports/www
    make apache (or what apache package you want)

cross your fingers and hope it builds

for NS I will echo freebsd (djbdns)
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> Why is is that some people always feel the need to lecture and to judge things by their own stadards.

Pretty simple answer, they feel the need to lecture because of their experiences to people with no or less experience.

To run a web server, of course you will need to install Apache from /usr/ports/www/apache13. Whatever what you wish to add modules or enable stuffs, just make a new topic at Apache forum to get the better answers. Also, read the docs at apache.org ..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo