1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trying to Install FreeBSD 5.4

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 5.4 on my old laptop and am getting an error everytime I start to install (Kernel configuration from the boot cd):

Code:
    Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernal mode
    fault virtual address 	= 0xe7066
    fault code 		= supervisor read, page not present
    instruction pointer 	= 0x8:0x00e8f35
    stack pointer 		= 0x10"0xc1020a50
    frame pointer 		= ox10:0xc1020a50
    code segment 		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
    			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
    processor eflags 	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
    current process 	= 0 (swapper)
    trap number 		= 12
    panic: page fault
    Uptime: 1s
    Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
    --> Press a key on the console to reboot,
    --> or switch off the system now.
    Does anyone know whats causing this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Hmmm. Looks like your hardware is not supported.

Try booting from the second CD, iirc it contains a more generic kernel than the first one, one that also works with older hardware like pre-686 cpus. But it may be your mainboard.
    If the second CD boots, you have a chance of manually installing it this way.

Generally speaking, I would not recommend running FreeBSD on an old notebook.

M.
  5. No Profile Picture

"Generally speaking, I would not recommend running FreeBSD on an old notebook."

FreeBSD being the problem, or the old laptop?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Synris
    "Generally speaking, I would not recommend running FreeBSD on an old notebook."

FreeBSD being the problem, or the old laptop?
    Hardware support is not as diversified as in linux eg. Especially exotic hardware, which most notebooks contain, is rarely supported. The BSD's are server platforms.

It could be the chipset of your mainboard, the CPU might be pre-pentium2, the power management can make big trouble, ... this is the most common I can think of right now.

I successfully ran FreeBSD on a Toshiba 1,2Ghz P3 notebook, but there was X drivers supplied from nvidia and Toshiba APM has got its own driver in the FreeBSD kernel. Pure luck if you're asking me

M.
  9. No Profile Picture

Try booting with ACPI disabled. May or may not work, but definitely worth a try.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The BSD's are server platforms.
    I would take issue with that statement. FreeBSD is Unix. While BSD/Unix is used more than any other as a web server, that does not mean it is a server only platform. At least you give that impression with that statement.
  13. No Profile Picture

I agree, BSD is not just a server platform. I use it as my primary desktop at work and have for years. I've also run it successfully on every laptop I've tried it on -- granted that's only 2 or 3. (See also, PCBSD and DesktopBSD: interesting new FreeBSD based projects.)

Having said that, the other poster's comments were not totally inaccurate in spirit. Servers are a more prevalent and important part of the BSD user base. And, laptops have a greater variety of unusual HW, which is a strain for an open source, volunteer project to keep up to date with.

As long as we're taking issue on minor points, one shouldn't say that "FreeBSD is Unix." You can say that it is Unix based or that it is Unix like. But, legally anyway, I don't think you can say that it _is_ Unix(r).
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From the FreeBSD website:
    It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley.
    I've read that in "FreeBSD Unleashed" and "The Complete FreeBSD" books, too.

Linux is Unix-like and is not at all Unix.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More history from FreeBSD Unleashed.

AT&T licensed licensed Unix and the source code to the Computer Systems Research Group (CSRG) at USC, Berkley. They made important additions, among them UFS and tcp/ip. They made so many contributions and changes that they released their own version called the Berkley Software Distribution (BSD).

"FreeBSD is a true Unix, with original commercial Unix code that has the same stability as traditional 'big-iron' Unix variants."

Actually, I think that last statement is no longer true because, over the years, the code has been updated and changed, and there was the threat of a lawsuit over Unix code contained in it and I think that was recoded, too.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    More history from FreeBSD Unleashed.
    [...]
    Pst! See sticky thread above!

M.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo