1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

/var/ is filling TOO FAST to full (%100)

hi,

i have a freebsd 5.4-stable server, my /var volume keeps raising to %100 and the server crashes, i use a big MySQL database, besides i use a technique that a php file reads the mysql data and stores it in a text file every 10 minutes, then i display the text file contents on the main page instead of connecting to database and hammering the server ...

I've noticed that when it rises to 100%, /var/tmp is using the whole size, it's normal is 14MB, but it rises to 114MB !!!

I think it's something related to the php file which reads the contents and store it in a text file, cuz before i make this technique i didn't have this problem, but it's just that i HAVE to use it to reduce the mysql usage.

the /var volume's normal capacity is 50%, when i do a (df -h) i see that it rises 55% ... 58% ... 60% ... %65 ... then drops again to 50% (((( EVERY 10 MINUTES ))))

i was lucky to see which files that thier sizes increase in the /var/tmp and i found them to be related to mysql, the names of the files are ( #sql_243_0.MYD && #sql_243_0.MYI ) ... I think these are the opened MySQL tables atm, so is there any configuration I can make to MySQL database to make it create these files anywhere other than /var ?? like /usr (which i have plenty of space on it)

any help will be much appretiated, Thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Emadello
    hi,
    I've noticed that when it rises to 100%, /var/tmp is using the whole size, it's normal is 14MB, but it rises to 114MB !!!
    Ah freebsd user, var need a generous portion and tmp needs to be (at least on my partition) at least 256 MB. The default partitioning is not generous. You may have to backup and re-allocate proper-sized partitons.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You might be able to backup /var and then add another drive to the system mounted as /var1. Restore /var to /var1 and then have it mount the new drive as /var. I have never done this but it seems like something that would work. Check the logs though. I'm sure that the logs are what is filling up /var.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by smoked1
    You might be able to backup /var and then add another drive to the system mounted as /var1. Restore /var to /var1 and then have it mount the new drive as /var. I have never done this but it seems like something that would work. Check the logs though. I'm sure that the logs are what is filling up /var.
    yah, you could use the dump and restore commands to do it. But definately clean out your logs, try to make var bigger, and maybe make a shell script that cleans out the temp folder every few minutes and cron it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo