1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

bsd preinstallation probs.

Hello.I am tryin to install free bsd on my pc.I have a 4.3 gb hdd with 2 partitions and using windows 98.I hav decided to use bsd along with it by creating a third partition of almost 1gb.i am using partition magic to create the partition but there is no option for unix file system in it.it has an option for linux file system.is it ok to use that file system.
    also do i need to hav another partition for swap i.e about 128mb since i have 64 mb ram.in that case should i hav 4 partions on my pc.2for win98 and 2 for freebsd.and what is the chances for me to loose my data on the other partitions while installing bsd.cuz when i read the inst. manual there was an option to resize the partition which i failed to understand much.
    also how much max space do i require to use majority of bsd applns including xwindows????
    so plz sumbody help me with my partition problems.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> by creating a third partition of almost 1gb

FreeBSD for newbies needs more than 2GB.

>> there is no option for unix file system

You can use any file system, just make sure to tell FreeBSD installer to install it only to that partiton and it will overwrite the FS type. That said, it could even be fat32/ntfs format.

>> do i need to hav another partition for swap

Yes, and FreeBSD installer will handle this, you don't need to pre-create another partition dedicated for swap.

>> what is the chances for me to loose my data on the other partitions

Big chance, so do whatever backup if necessary. Just be sure to install BSD boot loader.

>> in that case should i hav 4 partions on my pc

You only need to keep your C drive and dedicate all others to FreeBSD and its installer will repartition them.

>> how much max space do i require to use majority of bsd applns including xwindows?

Like I said, 2GB minimum. Without X, 1.5GB.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo