Thread: bsd on iBook2?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

bsd on iBook2?

Hello!

I was just wondering about your opinion if it makes any sense to try to install Open/NetBSD on an iBook2. I didn't find a lot of resources covering the topic when searching around the net.
    At the moment I'm running linux most of the time but why not try something new?

best regards
    Robson
  3. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    robson, is that a 'will it work on iBook' or 'is bsd any good to work with' question? Sounds like both to me. Oh well, look on threads for past week in this forum, guys had excellent discussion on what bsd is and what is it good for. When it comes to hardware, best choice would be to check with handbook's section on supported hardware.
    And you know I mean that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just like you suggest it is an 'is bsd any good to work with on an iBook' question. The recent threads were really informative but I am looking for some iBook2-specific info since the NetBSD/macppc model support page page states 'untested, but should work' for my model. On the other hand a comment on osnews.com says that it doesn't.
    Just wanted to check before wasting my time ...
  7. No Profile Picture

Have you tried darwin OSX. it is devolped by apple and is based on the bsd core. don't know if it works on an ibook2, becaurse i only have x86 boxes, and haven't had the time to read the manual for them both. you can get it at www.opensource.apple.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, both. My problem with osx is that there is not very much software available freely and I wasn't able to find much documentation for darwin. XFree didn't work on plain darwin and it felt _really_ slow on osx - but maybe i should give 4.2 a try.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo