1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mounting smb on freebsd

So I have been trying to find a nice simple way to mount a few of my windows shares to my freebsd box. However this has proved to be the most difficult task I have attempted in freebsd. I am not complaining or anything, I just figured it would be fairly straight forward.

So I did some google searches and came across smbfs and such, use ports and installed it. I try to compile it into my kernel(first time with comping the kernel) and I get this error msg saying that my config file doesn't match the kernel, I even tryed to compile the GENERIC kernel and it doesn't work either with the same error msg. It says my config file is 600003 and I need 600004. I looked through the config file for anything that would allow it to determine what version it is for, and I came up with nothing.

I am using freebsd 6.0 -- stable I am updating my ports collection and all of my apps on the system. Any ideas on why I can't compile my kernel and a nice method of setting up an automounting password protected windows share?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I have sorta Fixed the problem with my kernel. I found out that I don't need recompile the kernel, I switched to FreeBSD 5.4 so now I a stable release and such. However I am still getting an error when trying to mount the share:

with this code:
    Code:
    mount_smbfs //cory@mainServer/files /mnt/files
    I get this error:
    Code:
    mount_smbfs: can't get servers address: syserr = Operation time out
    with this code :
    Code:
    mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.122 //cory@mainserver/files /mnt/files
    I get this error
    Code:
    mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Operation time out
    anyone with any ideas?
    Last edited by CyBerHigh; December 1st, 2005 at 12:07 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, I have found out the source of the errors.

The kernel one was because there seems to be an error with the 6.0 release and the kernel configure. Turns out that I don't even need to put the smb part into the kernel anyway. Since the 5.x release they have been included.

Now the reason that my command wasn't work is because the -I flag can't have an ip address used, it most be a hostname. So append a hostname to your /etc/hosts file and it is a simple fix. So this command below works:

Code:
    # mount_smb -I sambaServer //user@blah/sharename /mnt/path
    It turns out that what is used after the @ sign doesn't actually matter, just make sure it corisponds to your /etc/nsmb.conf file, if you are going to use that for easying configuration.

for the etc file you can append to it with this:
    Code:
    # echo "192.168.0.23            sambaServer" << /etc/hosts
    You can modifie the /etc/nsmb.conf file so that you do not have to enter the password on every mount for normal servers. It is well documented.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo