1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Oracle on FreeBSD?

Has anyone attempted to run Oracle 8 or 9 on FreeBSD 4.x in Linux compatibility mode? If so, how is the stablility, performance, etc? I know it can be done, I just want to know if it is worth the effort, or should I just install it on RedHat. I prefer FreeBSD if the performance and stability are there.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When talking about performance and stability, you can't just look into Oracle itself. A default Redhat install loads all the craps all over the places. In FreeBSD most people only install/enable what they really need.
    So I'd say you need to know FreeBSD system well enough. If you don't, then just don't try it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

FreeBSD has been my OS of choice for the past 2 years, so I know it fairly well. I understand Linux as well (my first *nix experience was RedHat, which is where I learned the basics), which is why I'm using FreeBSD, and is also the basis for asking this question. I am left with 2 choices. Oracle on Linux, or Oracle on FreeBSD. That's it. No other choices. I would prefer the second choice since I don't care for any version of Linux, much less RedHat. BUT, I do not want to commit to FreeBSD if there are going to be problems. FreeBSD may be the superior OS, but if Oracle is crippled then it will not serve its purpose.

Disclaimer - Linux fans, please take no offence. This is in response to freebsd's post, and is not meant to be a Linux vs. FreeBSD flame war. It's just a matter of choice.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> so I know it fairly well

Then go ahead and benchmark the two. If you do a google search I am sure there should be a lot of Orcale FreeBSD howtos.

I brought up the other running services because they make huge difference.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Is there not native drivers
    I thunk I sawed it in the ports
  11. No Profile Picture

Many months ago I attempted to install Oracle on FreeBSD. I must say it was a challenge. I honestly did not like the idea of installing Linux ports in order to make it work. There was just too much software that was being installed for Oracle. I managed to install all the Linux pieces, but later unsuccessful in installing the Oracle port itself. There were very few instructions and whatever else existed was basically all "unofficial" and unsupported. I just gave up to save my sanity.

I dont know specifically how Oracle performs under Redhat or FreeBSD, but I think for me the maintainability issue is bigger than performance (I am of course assuming that the performance difference is not huge/significant, if anything Oracle should do better on Linux).

I wanted to simplify my life, if I need Oracle, I will install it on a Redhat installation instead of trying to spend time keeping up with all the Linux software on FreeBSD.

Just my $0.02!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo