1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Stumped: Need help getting files off old BSDi server

Hi all,

I have an old (circa 1999) web server running BSDi ISS v4.0.1. and Apache. I want to hook this machine up to my local area network, and I'm guessing I'm going to have to configure it to use DHCP rather than the old static IP that it currently has configured. Problem is, I haven't done any command line stuff in five years, so I was hoping I could get some advice from you folks.

Question: am I correct in assuming that if I can figure out how to change the network setup on this BSDi machine from its old static IP to DHCP, then I'll be able to plug the box into my LAN gateway and log into it via the web from another computer running Windows XP? If so, then what is that file on the BSDi server I have to change? I've been searching all over the place and haven't found it yet.

And yes, I am only a trained monkey. I've used web servers for years, but I've always felt like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when doing this command line stuff.

UPDATE: Ah ha! I found the /etc/netstart file with the hard-coded static IP address in it. As exciting as that is, I'm still stumped. Any advice how to proceed now? I see there is a dhcp_samples directory and I've read a few of the files in there, but they just confused me more.

Oh, and I should clarify: I am only doing this because I want to get about 300 MB worth of old jpeg images of this machine. If there is a simpler way to access these files, please let me know. The box has dual SCSI drives, a USB port on the mobo, but I'm not sure if BSDi can use that; it has a floppy disk drive, but floppies would take forever to transfer the images. It also has a CD drive, if that helps (just trying to be thorough here).
    Last edited by DH123; July 27th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.
  3. 63 dorinte

I'm not familiar with BSDi, so what I say may not help but then it may.

On FreeBSD, there need to be two lines in /etc/rc.conf:
    Code:
    hostname="some.place.net"
    ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
    where the 'fxp0' is the name of your network interface driver (you will have to figure that out for your hardware). The file /etc/dhclient.conf must exist, but can be empty for most circumstances. This of course assumes a rc style init.

HTH,

Ben N1NP

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention the /etc/resolv.conf file, it should contain
    Code:
    search place.net
    nameserver 0.0.0.0
    where 'place.net' is your domain and the IP is the address of the DHCP server.
    Last edited by n1np; July 28th, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

n1np,

Thanks for the reply

I don't have an rc.conf, but I do have that resolv.conf with these two lines:
    Code:
    domain: xxxxxxxxx.com
    nameserver: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    How do I set those to act as my DHCP server? Specifically, what domain name and what IP?

There's an rc (no .conf extension) file, but it really doesn't seem to have anything in it that I can configure.

There's a directory called etc/dhcp_samples with a README that says I have to create three files:

etc/dhcpdb.pool
    etc/dhcpdb.relay
    etc/dhcpdb.server

But after reading the README, I don't think that is what I want. I just want to connect the machine to my local LAN and get into it via SSH telnet or even just my web browser on my laptop.

My etc/netstart file contains this configuration info:
    Code:
    hostname= "www.mydomain.com"
    nis_domain=""
    primary="exp0"

interfaces="exp0"

ipaddr_exp0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    netmask_exp0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    Does any of this new info help shed some light on what I need to do?
  7. 63 dorinte

Originally Posted by DH123
    How do I set those to act as my DHCP server? Specifically, what domain name and what IP?
    These are the IP address of the DNS server on your local network, and the name of the local network. If the DNS does not automatically point to the DHCP server, you will have to specify it manually. I'm sorry I don't know how to do that for your machine.

I'm not familiar with netstart, do you have a manpage for it? I will hazard a guess that you could change the line
    Code:
    ipaddr_exp0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    to
    Code:
    ipaddr_exp0="DHCP"
    but that is only a guess, some documentation would be helpful.

Ben N1NP
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ben,

I found an online version of the manual in PDF format for BSDi 3.0. I'm reading it now, and it seems very complete, but I'm a bit thick when it comes to this stuff. If you can give it a look and decipher what it is saying, that'd be great.

I will try to sort it myself if I can.

Here's the link: BSDI Manual

The relevant bits seem to start on page 122. BTW, there's not one reference to DHCP in the entire manual that I can find. Did they call DHCP something else back then?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I read all the manuals and the READMEs and I'm no further ahead than when I started...which is nowhere.

In my gut, I know this must be a very straightforward thing to setup this server, but the docs are so verbose I can't see the forest for the trees.

Let's take a different tack on this problem:

The drive is a Quantum ATLAS 9.1GB ULTRA SCSI, I simply want the data off the drive. Could I...

- use some sort of external enclosure that will allow me to plug the drive via USB into a Windows machine and then read the data?

- Maybe install Ubuntu Linux on the existing server? Would Ubuntu preserve the original BSDI partition AND let me read the data? I suggest this because a current version of Ubuntu would certainly let me setup the box for DHCP quite easily, no?

Any and all suggestions, would be very much appreciated.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I solved the problem...but not as elegantly as I'd first hoped.

I tried everything I could with regard to getting the server to pick up an IP from my router/gateway...but no go. If I had a static IP to give it, I'd have had it online in about 2 minutes, but nothing I tried would work to make it act as a DHCP IP client.

I resorted to copying the files onto floppies. I'd tar / gzip as many images and htm pages as I could without going over 1.44 MB, then copy them onto a floppy.

Took about six hours! Yes, I feel really, really dumb for having to do it that way. Reading the various UNIX man pages on the subject also made me feel like English wasn't my first language.

Anyway, thanks, N1NP, for trying to help me.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo