1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Freebsd 4.8 yeah I know old...lol

hello...I am looking for any ideas on this issue.

- old freebsd 4.8 with a custom chat app. I didn't write the app. The app has worked fine for years....but recently when the date rolled over on or about Monday July 13th 2009, the chat app stopped working. This app goes to set a cookie back on the client based on the name they enter.

The error message on a client is "your browser doesn't support cookies...use a browser that does"...etc

Same error on any browser or any OS including *nix.

Puzzled I rolled the date back before this time period and now the app works. There is a forum on this site that had no problem with the date rolling beyond 7/13/2009, and the OS from a command line had no issues either logging picked up the correct new date etc.

Any wild and off the wall ideas are appreciated....~S~ thanks

Also this app works fine on other peoples freebsd systems...even after the dates roll.

The app creates one process and is mostly made up of 1 bin file.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Has nothing to do with freebsd and everything to do with your custom app. Perhaps there's a config file somewhere that has an expiry date on your specific computer and that is why it is failing after the date. Since your friends computers don't have that file, the app doesn't expire on their machines.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would agree its the code....I am looking for config files....also I will ask here and then in another section.....does anyone know of a way to run this daemon interactively on the box so I can step through the daemon loading with an advanced date and look for error messages...or watch the code run when a remote browser connects to it interactively...can gdb be used for this? also how I might uncompile the code...reverse it search it for date variables, expiration etc......

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo