Thread: Installing BSD

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing BSD

I got the torrent of FreeBSD 8.2 and I have started downloading,
    meanwhile can any of you please give me a link on how exactly i can get to the point where i can issue 'sysinstall'?

the process of installing (through sysinstall) is detailed in the documents, only the torrent has like 5 files, bootonly, disc1, dvd1, livefs, memstick.img. I am a beginner of BSD, Back in linux we had one single ISO, so this is different, any type of help would be nice.

-Lokesh
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Sounds like you got your FreeBSD in 5 different formats (to burn to DVD, CD, memory stick etc.). Since you seem to know what an ISO is, why not just get the ISO alone from the FreeBSD site. Simply burn the ISO to a CD and then boot with it. It will fire up sysinstall automatically.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing that first system can be pretty intimidating. For myself, the biggest part of this was a "fear of the unknown." I didn't know what to expect. Most of the websites about BSD were way over my head or were not very specific about installation.I was essentially new to using Unix and getting ready to install BSD. I decided to keep notes through the process and share my first experience with installing a Unix type operating system, installing BSD.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo