1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Benefits to the client of having me host the site?

I have a client who's site I am working on, he is happy for me to host the site as it'll cost less and it makes sense that the developer has easy control but what other benefits are there to the client if the developer hosts the site?

Cheers
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by GaintBlueBlob
    I have a client who's site I am working on, he is happy for me to host the site as it'll cost less and it makes sense that the developer has easy control but what other benefits are there to the client if the developer hosts the site?

Cheers
    When someone looks for a hosting company, they look for features (bandwidth, email accounts, storage space, etc) and price. So for a developer to host the site, the only real benefit would be easy control. However, whether you host it on your own server or another hosting company, doesn't necessarily matter... especially if you're the one that set up. Regardless of where it is set up, if you set it up, or are given access, control would be just as easy.

Some developers prefer one hosting company over another, so that may be the only deciding factor for you...

I host a number of sites, and 99% of them are hosted one one server, but the other 1% on another... the domains on the 1% server... was a mistake... I can't stand that particular hosting server, but I'm using it because it's free hosting.

So basically, easy control, price, and of course understanding and knowing the server (and its control panel) are the benefits.

Make sure that you have good uptime, otherwise clients may start complaining and want to look elsewhere.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IMHO it's more drawbacks to the client. Unless you use a external hosting company, the client will likely get reduced bandwidth, spotty backups, intermittent power problems and no support during sleeping time from a developer-operated server.

Plus many developers don't register domains in the client's name like they should, then later close up shop leaving client websites orphaned without any access, and a big hassle for the client to straighten out the mess.

It makes no sense to me for a client to save maybe $50.00/year and lose redundant backbone connections, backup power, controlled access facilities, proper daily backups and support.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

There is no benefit, only drawbacks for the client.

They can give you full access to a hosting account. You do not need to host it for this. The problem is when things go wrong. You are a not a web host. You are a developer. They will suffer because of this. You will also struggle to match the features that a proper host provides.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo