1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Business case for Data Management Section

I'm in the middle of acquiring a new asset management system for my business. We've done all we can in terms of setting out the requirements, and have even received some bids (surprise!). The system is due to be introduced in the next 3-6 months.

The issue I have is that senior management have decided (in their infinite wisdom) that each section who will be using the system should be responsible for their own data. They do not foresee having a central data management team to monitor the databases, act on issues, compact data, ensure data management protocols are being met, etc etc etc...

I am trying to organise a list of reasons why this is a really bad idea, but am having trouble putting "it's going to cause utter chaos" into management weasel words and put a potential cost to it, either in cash value to the organisation or to the people who will be using the system. Is there anyone out there who can help me with some anecdotal evidence or perhaps some sage management advice gleaned from years of experience?

Literally any small tidbits would be massively helpful at this point.

Thanks everyone!
  3. For POny!

There is a difference between responsible for data (ie. quality of that data) and responsible for the maintaining of the system that stores the data (durability, security).

each section should be responsible for the quality of data, but it would be pretty stupid do let each section hire a team of experts to secure and maintain the same data center. This eventually leads to more costs and worse possible conflicting solutions.

P.s. with quality of data I mean the if the dataset is usable for the propose of the application. I assume each section populates this with their own applications.
    Last edited by aeternus; October 1st, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

It's more that there is one database system, but each section has more or less rights over the data that they would manage. For example, the facilities managers have more rights over FM data changes than, say, the property surveyors would.

Does that make sense??

Thanks for the other points though. Very valid to make the point about management of data and management of the system. =)
  7. For POny!

Well I don't know exactly what you mean. But I would give the people only the rights they need to use their data. Instead of making them super users just because it sounds awesome If you give more people extra right without the need for it, it will end up in a finger pointing game.
    Not sure if that makes sense.
  9. No Profile Picture

All good. Thanks aeternus =)
  11. For POny!

Originally Posted by Akira71
    All good. Thanks aeternus =)
    You would do the same with a website. The normal visitor prolly only needs to execute a select query. So I only grant him that right.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo