1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How much to charge for this?

I recently made a website for a friend that included mysql login/register coding, galleries and guestbooks etc. and charged no money for it.
    As with most 'customers' though they want changes and now wants the website to automatically email him every day with a list of those who have registered in the last month and also a more automated gallery where instead of uploading say 5 photos at a time he can just FTP them all in a folder and the website automatically displays them.
    I've told him the automated email stuff would require scripting or some technology that I'm unfamilar with and also the gallery code will need to be re-written from scratch so basically said I'm unwilling to do all this for free.
    He said he will pay me and to give him a quote. Question is how much would a professional charge for these 2 things?

I'm not really a web developer so have no idea about pricing. I do know that the work I've done so far is worth a couple thousand dollars at least.

Thanks in advance.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by wurdup
    I recently made a website for a friend that included mysql login/register coding, galleries and guestbooks etc. and charged no money for it.
    As with most 'customers' though they want changes and now wants the website to automatically email him every day with a list of those who have registered in the last month and also a more automated gallery where instead of uploading say 5 photos at a time he can just FTP them all in a folder and the website automatically displays them.
    I've told him the automated email stuff would require scripting or some technology that I'm unfamilar with and also the gallery code will need to be re-written from scratch so basically said I'm unwilling to do all this for free.
    He said he will pay me and to give him a quote. Question is how much would a professional charge for these 2 things?

I'm not really a web developer so have no idea about pricing. I do know that the work I've done so far is worth a couple thousand dollars at least.

Thanks in advance.
    Well what you need to do is break the project down into pieces and then associate times to each of those pieces. For example:
    Login script - 2 hours
    Photo Gallery - 2 hours

Etc... then add up the hours and put a price to it.. how much would you charge hourly? It's hard for someone to tell you how much they would charge for a similar project, because rates vary from city to city... state to state. In my current city, the cost of a simple website may be $200... but in a bigger city 2 hours away, it's about $500... Without knowing the specs of this site, no one would be able to give you an estimate either because you've only mentioned a few items but then mentioned it's worth a couple thousand dollars. Just based on what's in your original post, I wouldn't charge anymore than about $600 for that as it really doesn't seem as though it should take that long.

Now you may be including time it takes you to learn something you're unfamiliar with, but I would never charge a customer for me needing to learn something new. Only time I charge for learning is when I'm employed by someone and they require me to learn something. But for clients, I take on jobs that I can do, or I contract others that can handle the needs.

If you list all the requirements of the site, someone may be able to better estimate how long something may take, but you'd want to check with your area as far as rates.
  5. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

$50-$75 an hour, DOE. I do freelance work for a company that charges $90 an hour.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Programming work - think $50-$100 hour
    Regular database work - thinkg $40-75 / hour
    Web design: $25-$50

A common problem is that a client asks the same person to do all this work since they don't know how to break it down. Or, they ask one of these people to, plan, project manage, supervise, and QA the project.

You goofed when you started doing work for free without setting up some plan for inevitable extensions, support, and add-ons. You could be in deep doodoo since your friend now expects your code to keep working and of course, some maintenance is required. He will one day call up desperate when the site breaks and he'll expect that it's your problem that your code broke. The fact that it could be any of a number of things which may or may not have anything to do with what you "gave" him means little to a guy whose site is down and who is dependent on you.

You should have a serious talk about the future with your friend of which only one issue is the immediate requests for extensions.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The email thing is very simple to do, at least in php. Cron jobs with "wget" and mail() function is all you need. It wouldn't take you more than one hour, if you know how to do it. It may still take you less than one hour even if you have to investigate. (Cron jobs are for linux servers, I think.)
    The FTP part depends on a lot of things... doesn't seem reasonable to me. But whatever. If he just wants a listing of the files in the directory, that's about 5 lines of code in php... if he wants thumbnails, etc; that's a bit more complicated.

I would probably charge no less than $400, and more if the FTP part is kinda complicated.

If I made the system future-proof, I would still charge for each change requested as if the System was not future proof and required recoding.

About hourly pricing, I agree with johnedelson.
  11. No Profile Picture

Depends how much you want to earn V's how much you want to charge your friend. How about offering a revshare deal for future work?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo