1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Contracts for recurring work...?

I have a client that I will be doing recurring work for. Many of these will likely be fairly small projects, and maybe as often as one a week.

My question is this: do I have him sign a new contract for each project? Or do I have an initial contract that sets up the terms for all of the work I ever do for him?

Thanks!
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by piperpam27
    I have a client that I will be doing recurring work for. Many of these will likely be fairly small projects, and maybe as often as one a week.

My question is this: do I have him sign a new contract for each project? Or do I have an initial contract that sets up the terms for all of the work I ever do for him?

Thanks!
    Depends on the nature of the work you will be doing for him. If you do a website, as well as handle the maintenance on it, then one contract should suffice.

If, however, you do a website, but then handle his network later, separate contracts would probably be warranted.

If all of the work falls under the same scope of things, then one contract may be fine.

What you need to consider though, is that whether you have one or multiple contracts, you need to have all of the terms clearly outlined.

(None of us on here are lawyers, so for actual contracts and legal advice, you should really consult one. It'll be worth the money you pay to have the appropriate contract(s) drawn up. Some lawyers may also have templates for such cases.)
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the quick response, hiker. I appreciate your input.

This particular client uses his website for various services, and is always brainstorming to develop new services. My work would likely include both consulting as well as designing for any new services that this client would like to consider. I'm not sure that a single contract is the best solution, since over time (six months, a year, etc.) project descriptions, requirements, and expectations can change significantly. However, it also seems a little bit overboard to have a new contract every week or so. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by piperpam27
    This particular client uses his website for various services, and is always brainstorming to develop new services. My work would likely include both consulting as well as designing for any new services that this client would like to consider. I'm not sure that a single contract is the best solution, since over time (six months, a year, etc.) project descriptions, requirements, and expectations can change significantly. However, it also seems a little bit overboard to have a new contract every week or so. Any ideas?
    Some options:
    - You can have one contract in place for consulting and another for designing
    - Have contract(s) valid for x amount of time (3 or 6 months, for example)
    - If you charge based on an hourly type of rate, then have 1 contract that states your hourly rate. Before any projects, changes, etc, give the client an estimate based on what you stated in the contract. Once agreed upon, you begin.
    - You can even have the contract only extend to lay out the terms of what you will do for the client, and not necessarily a price. You can then have a separate one sheet page of what you will be doing and how much you will charge. Per their signature, you begin whatever work you need to do.

There are numerous contracts and ways to have contracts with clients.. The "best" way really depends on the individual.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can write up a contract any way you want as long as it's not illegal.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo