Thread: Copyright code

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Copyright code

I run a web design business where I created a website for a client. They asked if they could use some of the PHP code on another website of theirs. It never even occured to me what was the standard practice with web programming code and copyrights. Does the client own the copyright or the programmer? If anyone could shed some light (or even examples of legal disclaimers on the topic), that'd be great! :-)
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by John Cook
    I run a web design business where I created a website for a client. They asked if they could use some of the PHP code on another website of theirs. It never even occured to me what was the standard practice with web programming code and copyrights. Does the client own the copyright or the programmer? If anyone could shed some light (or even examples of legal disclaimers on the topic), that'd be great! :-)
    Moved to Legal
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Its really up to you to specify this kind of ownership up front. Since its after the fact, I'm not sure what kind of rights you have...

Seeing as they approached you, however, you might want to try to negotiate a distribution license w/ them; if they want to use your code, maybe they pay you a flat up-front, one-time fee; or, perhaps, a small percentage of the total sale for each client they use your code with. If they're willing to discuss things on these terms, it would be beneficial to you to talk to them about it.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yeah, there is no "black and white" on this. I believe I read an article on IMR that said the employer owns all work performed for them.

That is, if Paramount Pictures hired a logo designer to make a logo for their film, Paramount would own the rights to the logo, and not the independent designer.

However, I don't know what would stop you from making similar code and using it on another site.. you obviously have the skills...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo