1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Copyright website

I am building a website and saw some site like cnn.com has copyright at bottom of the page.

Do they register a copyright somewhere?
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ianal:

The design is automatically copyrighted (assuming no prior art) by virtue of its existence.
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by ufmale
    I am building a website and saw some site like cnn.com has copyright at bottom of the page.

Do they register a copyright somewhere?
    A C enclosed in a circle represents a Copyright.

An R enclosed in a circle represents a Registered Copyright. Here is information on registering a copyright: linky
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    A C enclosed in a circle represents a Copyright.

An R enclosed in a circle represents a Registered Copyright. Here is information on registering a copyright: linky
    Thank you very much for the info. What is actually the benefit to copyright the site? My friend and I created a site to let people post event information on http://www.julycenter.com

The information is not actually my asset and it is free. I am not sure if we need to CopyRight?
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by ufmale
    Thank you very much for the info. What is actually the benefit to copyright the site? My friend and I created a site to let people post event information on http://www.julycenter.com
    Benefits

As to whether you should register the copyright, that's up to you. I have personally never copyrighted any of my sites, but I do put a copyright logo at the bottom of each. (C enclosed in a circle... I believe the html code is © )

Comments on this post

• brianbak agrees : Awesome Info
  11. No Profile Picture

You can register for copyright , there must be a copyright office in your city , you need to fill a form and pay $$ to get copyright for a book / web site ,etc .
  13. Contributing User

If you aren't worried about other people quoting your site, then why not use a Creative Commons license? (http://creativecommons.org/)

$0.02 cheers.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by l8rm8e
    If you aren't worried about other people quoting your site, then why not use a Creative Commons license? (http://creativecommons.org/)

$0.02 cheers.
    Good idea, but google will treat your original content as duplicate and your website will loose SERP .
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Is it necessary that if some content is marked as copyright protected then it is indeed?
  19. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by it career
    there must be a copyright office in your city
    In the USA just go to copyright.gov all the forms you need are there and there's plenty of FAQs to help you know what to submit for a website. Don't bother looking for a "local copyright office" you won't find one (unless you're in the District of Columbia).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  21. Sarcky

Good idea, but google will treat your original content as duplicate and your website will loose SERP .
    Wait...how do you figure? You think google automatically marks creative commons content as duplicate? Or are you assuming that once someone copies it and posts it on their website, your traffic will go down because more than one copy of the content is available? That may work for a character-by-character duplicate of the page contents, but if it's only a portion google won't know.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  23. No Profile Picture

what do you think autoblog and copyright infringement,most of them do not link back to original source but still they make money from autoblog adsense that they made, I think they stealer but some people consider different I don't know what happen in their head

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo