1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Developing a website idea - startup/sponsors

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of exploring a website idea that I have in mind. There isn't any other website like it yet (though it should) and I suspect it has a lot of potential to snowball into something substantial. (excuse me for being vague)

The problem is it will be too complex to build myself, and at the moment I don't have the funds to hire a professional team to make it. (Well, unless I sell my house that is)
    So the operative question being, what exactly are my options?

1) Is it for example common to engage a sponsor who will fund the whole endeavor for a large cut of the projected income once the site takes off?

2) Or is it perhaps possible to engage a webdeveloper(/team) directly and propose a deal? (ie, little or no fee, but XX% shares of the website/company)

- And if so, how would one go about on finding those business partners?
    - And if not, what other options are there really?

As for myself, I'm currently working out all the wireframes for every page. The UI, the functional design, Andsoforth.
    i.e: Most of the thought & number crunching for a website will be done before the actual website building will start. Which should reduce the cost of development significantly in case I do decide to hire a webdeveloping company myself.

Thank you for reading. I'm interested in hearing from others, how to best address this issue.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

a working arrangement

it is always difficult to start these conversations as you risk letting go of your concepts to a stranger who then takes it and runs...

please PM me and we can talk off-screen keeping your information safe (we can always enter an NDA if that will make you feel more secure)
  5. Contributing User

While 2 is most often tried, I dare say that 1 looks more viable.

Anyway it is always very hard if you have nothing except idea - no skills, no money since as soon as the project is started it becomes unclear why the team needs you. I'm unsure if NDA can protect you well enough. It could protect precise technical implementations but protecting ideas is a vague matter...

So you'd better to become either good developer, or sponsor or at least build up great management skills - so that you will be really important member of the team.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo