1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ECommerce sales and taxes

I'm building an eCommerce application for a client so he can sell his items online nationwide (USA). His store front or "nexus" is in Florida, but this web-site will allow people all over the country to purchase his items online and have them shipped.

I've read up on some sales tax information, but am having trouble finding the specific answers I need. Am I to charge every shipment, no matter the location of the buyer destination, the 6% FL sales tax, and additional 1% county surtax, or will I be charging the sales tax and county surtax based on the origin of the shipping address state and county, or do I just not charge sales tax online?

Nolo.com says this -
    "The current default rule throughout the United States is that you must collect sales tax on Internet sales to customers in those states where your business has a “physical presence.” The physical-presence rule is based on a 1992 United States Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, that addressed the obligations of mail-order businesses to collect sales tax on out-of-state sales. The decision has been extended to include online retailers. Generally speaking, a physical presence means such things as

having a warehouse in the state
    having a store in the state
    having an office in the state, or
    having a sales representative in the state
    "
    So does this mean I only have to charge FL sales tax to all buyers no matter their location while buying online and do I still charge county surtax?
    Last edited by BitZoid; April 8th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
    -- Success achieved from tribulation --
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

From what I've noticed with my online purchases, assuming your "physical location" is considered to be in FL, then, anyone making a purchase from you, that is also in FL, I think you would want to charge at least the state sales tax to them [I'm not sure about that county surtax of 1%, tho.].
    The only exception I've found is with sales in TN, if you purchase from a store [online or brick-n-mortar] in TN, they charge you sales tax no matter where you are purchasing from.
  5. Contributing User

OK so what I can get from you is I need to charge all customers who are buying the item or shipping to a zip code in florida, the FL sales tax, but do NOT charge taxes to anybody buying from outside of FL? Correct?
    -- Success achieved from tribulation --
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Other than having a data feed I don't know how POS systems keep track of county and city state taxes. I pay 0.25% more in tax on a cup of coffee I buy at the coffee shop nearest my house than I do at my office (San Francisco vs Alameda counties). I generally observe that most eCommerce sites charge me the state tax rate but not the local taxes. However this does not seem to be universally consistent. One of these days consumers will think to audit this ....
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

online purchases

I had a weird one the other day. A customer wanted a copy of their receipt. They were in Illinois if I remember correctly. They said they had to pay sales tax for all online purchases. This was a company, not an individual. I've never run into this before. I thought I only had to charge tax in Florida where I live.

<Edited out fake sig drop>

Comments on this post

• Scorpions4ever disagrees : You don't live in Florida, so why lie about it? You must be really ashamed of the country/city you live in. Oh and stop attempting to spam your signature.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; August 27th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by daveanton
    I had a weird one the other day. A customer wanted a copy of their receipt. They were in Illinois if I remember correctly. They said they had to pay sales tax for all online purchases. This was a company, not an individual. I've never run into this before. I thought I only had to charge tax in Florida where I live.

<Edited out fake sig drop>
    Who is scorpion?
  13. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by RyanAlex
    Who is scorpion?
    I'm a long time forum user and moderator. Any more questions?
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo