Thread: Ecommerce Site

1. They're coming to take me away

Ecommerce Site

Wasn't sure if this is where this would belong, but here goes...

Wondering if anyone knows how much a basic ecommerce site goes for. My brother-in-law wants me to create an ecommerce site for his company. He doesn't really want more than just an ecommerce page. Less than 400 products. I tried doing a search, but didn't find a whole lot that offered up pricing without emailing them for a quote. It's going to be designed in PHP/Mysql... also how much monthly maintenance normally goes for. if you need more details, let me know. Just looking for a ballpark figure since he's family, wasn't gonna charge the norm.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Have you looked at shopping carts like osCommerce / X-Cart? If you know PHP - those might be the way to start.

He would need an SSL cert if he is going to be processing transactions on his website and a merchant account with an electronic payment gateway (LinkPoint, Verisign's Payflow, Authorizenet.com)
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Have you looked at shopping carts like osCommerce / X-Cart? If you know PHP - those might be the way to start.

He would need an SSL cert if he is going to be processing transactions on his website and a merchant account with an electronic payment gateway (LinkPoint, Verisign's Payflow, Authorizenet.com)
    Yea.. actually used OSCommerce before, and didn't like it.. I know how to set it up in PHP.. just wasn't sure how much to charge him for the site design itself.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Texan at Heart

Gotcha - charge what you want basically I always say. You can find companies that will set up a cart for $500 - $50,000. Sometimes this includes the design - sometimes it does not.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Since he's family, you probably want this done quick and cheap.

Look into PHPShop...similar to OSCommerce, but it's a plugin for an existing CMS system and does everything but process CC transactions.

And I would say $100 off the top of my head. That covers installing the software and verifying that everything is possible, and writing a short doc on how he can input his own products.

$1000 for you doing the input yourself. I tend to charge more for boring things that the client could do themselves.

-Dan
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The cost to design the site should be dependent on how much time you need to complete the design.

Things to keep in mind.

1. Design at least 8 page layouts
    a. Front page/store design
    b. Category pages design
    c. Product Detail pages design
    d. Shopping Cart Page design
    e. Sign in/new account design
    f. Shipping Page Design,
    g. Credit Card Page Design
    h. Confirmation page design.

These layouts can all be based on a common theme, but some thought should be put into all of them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo