1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I ensure that my small business owns all the code my developers write?

Do any of you wonderful DevShedders have any "example" contracts for hiring developers? Particularly, a "do this project" type of arrangement?

I want something good enough and clear enough that going to court is well out of the question.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Decker87
    Do any of you wonderful DevShedders have any "example" contracts for hiring developers? Particularly, a "do this project" type of arrangement?

I want something good enough and clear enough that going to court is well out of the question.
    I do have "example" contracts for hiring developers. However, I would seriously recommend you go to a lawyer to have them create a sample contract for you. Many business lawyers already have templates of these types on hand. As laws vary from state to state, a contract I have may not work for you for various reasons. For things like this, you would want to talk to a lawyer. I understand that you may not want to fork out the money on a lawyer, but think of it this way... If you get a contract from us that may end up having a loophole or two because we're not lawyers... you may end up being out more money that it would have cost for you to go to a lawyer that knows your business and the laws where you are. It's definitely worth the money to discuss your needs with a lawyer so they can give you an ironclad contract for where you are.

In case you missed the moral of my rambling.... Talk to a lawyer..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo