Thread: GetACoder???

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

GetACoder is an outright scam.

After designing a site for way below minimum wage, I found out that I had to wait 20 days for getacoder to release the funds. To speed this up I purchased they're premium membership (this apparently allows you to get your money in 5 days).

Three weeks later and I still haven't been paid. This site is a scam. I suspect the owner of this site just lives off the escrow payments.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone code on that site or at the very least avoid the escrow system.

They are under investigation for fraud now out of Wilmington, DE.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi, is GAC good enough?

I hope my freelancer site can be better then theirs
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your freelancer job board provides project management tools so that clients can easily manage remote resources, then it'll be better. Otherwise, it's just a job board and running with a large pack, so no reason to think it'll be better.

And job boards are a waste of time for any freelancer in a mature economy. And it's likely also a complete waste for most potential clients, since they have absolutely no clue how to manage a remote project across timezones and language barriers.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Directory of Freelancers... Now in over 30 countries! Are You In It?
    VersaReports - Universal Web Report Server for .NET - Try It Now!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by amf
    And job boards are a waste of time for any freelancer in a mature economy.
    In this case "a mature economy" means "expensive for nothing areas".
  9. No Profile Picture

********fessional.com

New freelancer site, doesn't have long escrow withdraw rates and doesn't charge high fee's.
  11. No Profile Picture

getacoder.com - something is not quite right there

Originally Posted by halfkernelshort
    I have experience with hiring through this site, and i have to say i am concerned.
    My account at getacoder.com has just been suspended. Apparently for posting my e-mail in a message to a contractor. Yet they scan the messages and block them if an e-mail is entered. Their rules on the matter are quite vague. It states in the rules that one is allowed to post an e-mail after the bidding process is over for a project, that is it's been awarded (so why did they suspend my account? I don't know).

I've had two projects done there and the first one was some flash adds. Overall well done by an Italian programmer but he vanished before finishing and now I suspect what happened to him. He still had $40 sitting in escrow for him. Then I had an Indian programmer do some Joomla work for $650. I think he got his money but after the suspension I'm real suspicious about GAC. They have still to explain the suspension and they only offer one way of sending in communications, that is the form on the website. I doubt that I will submit more projects there, given this experience and the confusing user interface on the site.
  13. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

all of those sites are crap. you either get ripped off there, or you wind up working for $4 an hour.
  15. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Use craigslist to hire some teenager in your area. At least you know where to find them ;-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  17. No Profile Picture

GAC is a joke

If you're serious about freelancing, don't waste your time with GAC. I can't speak to the other freelance sites because I wrote all of them off after my brief GAC encounter. It must be run in someone's basement who has 24/7 voice mail, and never returns calls. No contact information at all is permitted when projects are bid. Oh really? And the project host does due diligence and checks references how? And the bidder checks that the project host is legitimate, how? If you want to build an entire ebay cloned web site for $300, you will find all the work you want at GAC. It's a playpen for children or those who don't mind working for slave wages on poorly defined projects (i.e. requirements creep).
  19. Contributing User

free...

I was looking through this thread, because my work might need some ASP coding, and it is interesting.

Looks a little lopsided - buyers get a great deal, coders kinda get the low-end.

Maybe it is better to just try Craigslist if you want something cheep - my work is cheep (if they weren't then I would get more).

Still, I like that the coder sites list the persons projects and ratings, not something craigslist does...
  21. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up RE: GetACoder

In my opinion GetACoder is much better than RAC or GAF. Their support staff is more helpful and all buyers with whom I worked were good and paid me on time, some of them have also given me compensations. While on RAC I had serious problems with buyers that runaway with work without pay me. On GAF the support staff is unprofessional and always tries to protect buyers instead of coders. I work now on GAC and I am pretty satisfied.
  23. No Profile Picture

Hi
    I don't really care about the money that much, but there is no appeal, no notice, and no financial protections. Be sure you don't mind losing the money you escrow there.
    Whatever service you decide to use, I would focus projects on small scale objects where you have good design documents or very simple things like flash objects. Relying on services like this for larger, more complex projects are prone to failure in my mind.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello,

I tried some freelancer job websites for quite a long time. I have no any idea why I never get a job. I gave up now.

I usually completed about 70% - 80% of the project before the bid. This can let the buyers knew that I could complete the jobs with full confident. This could also let them know their projects could be completed promply.

I also bid on a low price. However I still never get a project

I only bid on projects I know very well. However this spent me a lot a lot a lot of time.

It seems to me that the buyers are not really exist. The projects are also not exist.

Best regards

Alex
  27. No Profile Picture

I have worked with most of popular freelancing sites. I've even wrote small article about starting freelance career on these sites.

I can say that I'd like Scriptlance. They have terrible support team. I've tried to resolve small issue for a month.

As for GAC, it is not so popular as other sites. So, customer has limited choice of developers. And developer has limited choice of projects. Also they have not very good system for withdrawing money.

They need to think more on their marketing campaign.
  29. No Profile Picture

Getacoder are thiefs

Originally Posted by timothytrice
    I've done some reading on this and a couple of other forums regarding those sites that allow programmers to bid on work. I'm familiar with RAC, read some about Elance and Guru (the former expensive, the latter doesn't seem to want to pay on schedule: agreed?).

My question is about GetACoder? My understanding is they don't take the commission out of your pay, but you can transfer funds from that pay to cover commission OR use cc/check to deposit money to cover those commissions, correct?

More importantly, does anyone have any negative experiences with this site? I've already found plenty of work that I could do and it seems like it's better than RAC in that you don't have a large number of people bidding outrageously low amounts for work. Would you agree?

Any personal info on this site (or others I haven't mentioned, or corrections to what I've said) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
    My experience is that Getacoder is a bunch of thiefs and crooks. I don't have the time to explain all in detail. I'm sure hundreds or thousands of companies have just like me been stolen thousands of dollars. After one year I finally realise that I will never see my money back. It is a pitty that such people can make publicity on sites like this It is worse that there is no international court for such commercial thefts.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo