1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internet search engine suggestions/feedback

Hello all fellow forum users,

I am working on developing a new search engine in which will give users a better and more versatile experience. I was hoping I could get any suggestions on things you, the user, would like to see in a search engine or things that you donít like in the existing search engines. These suggestions will be considered implementing into the search engine which you may in fact use one day and may have the tool or feature you suggested.

Thank you for any and all feedback.
  3. No Profile Picture

Internet search engine suggestions/feedback

it's good that you are developing new search engine. but it's not very easy task. Results should be relevant to the keyword for which we are searching. Currently Google gives best result over all the search engines.
  5. No Profile Picture

I hope it was a good thing. And can help us, it would be great, right?Thank you can put them forward.
  7. No Profile Picture

take this as you will, but do you no google owns its own datacenter, and costs millions and millions to run every year?
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

To be serious with this, you need a BIG budget.

First, you need to poach the best minds rom Google, Bing, and serveral other places around. When you have 20-100 software engineers, get them to sit down and work out how the system will work. This will take anywhere between 3 months and 3 years. From here, employ 500-1000 programmers and team leasers so that you can start work on getting the system running. Again, this could take 3 months to 3 years.

While you're getting this done, organise 100 or more datacentres around the world. Not individual servers, but data centres. You'll need a minimum of 1,000 servers in each for the pure number crunching that you'll be doing to start out with.

When the system is developed, tested and deployed, lanuch it. Then see how much revenue you can earn.

What revenue model would you use? How are you going to pay for people, equipment, bandwidth, etc? What start-up funds do you have available? Whats your projected break-even point?

It is a noble idea to get a better search engine, but it's not something that can be quantified most times. The big questions are "better then what?" and "what does it do better?". Unfortunately, this is not an arena that small players make an impact in. You need a very big budget, and very deep pockets to get you to a point where you know 1/1,000,000th of what's out there, and even then, you need to show people just how you do things better. Unless you can give people real reasons to swap, people will almost always just rever to what they know now.
  11. Contributing User

I think you should start by asking what is the problem with the current search engine(s). As I know Google started by trying to solve the issue associated with searches not pulling relevant pages. Since they have solved that problem if you can pinpoint another key issue with current search engines you might have something.

A good starting point might be to find out which demographic makes heavy use of search engines and then ask that group about the issues they face with current search engines.
  13. Registered User

I would like to see favico icons in the search and as a site owner a way to manage my listings.

Also a easy way to report bad listings
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joelron26
    Hello all fellow forum users,

I am working on developing a new search engine in which will give users a better and more versatile experience. I was hoping I could get any suggestions on things you, the user, would like to see in a search engine or things that you donít like in the existing search engines. These suggestions will be considered implementing into the search engine which you may in fact use one day and may have the tool or feature you suggested.

Thank you for any and all feedback.
    Google has thousands of servers crawling the internet, along with tons of data on searches. Unless you have an unlimited bankroll its very hard to compete with that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo