Thread: Mass Messaging

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mass Messaging

Ive heard that mass messaging and mass posting on forums is illegal. is this true? are friend adders for like myspace and facebook illegal too? cause i actually read about those techniques in a MTV marketing book.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Illegal in what sense?

I don't think that the systems that you've suggested here are against the law (don't quote me on that, I'm not a laywer), but they are against the terms of the sites that they are targeted at.

What are you hoping to acheive form this "mass messaging", and how is it different to any other form of SPAM?
  5. No Profile Picture

Im just doing research actually. im evaluating a number of marketing techniques. ive heard auto posting on forums is illegal. but i dont think friend adders and messengers are illegal to use on myspace. anybody know what im talking about?
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Illegal and a violation of terms of service are rather two different things. In almost every case an automated process will violate a site's or service's terms of service and will be cause to terminate you. There may be civil damages that can be awarded to companies if your automation disrupts their normal course of business. For example, if you flooded amazon.com with bots and effectively disrupted their commerce activity for several hours they can, probably should, and possibly will sue you for the lost revenue due to your disruption. If this happened you'd likely end up in debt for the rest of your life to try to come up with the judgment. In some cases, such as if you were attacking a campaign website for a political candidate there might be very serious legal repercussions from this activity as well, and things like election tampering laws come into play. It all rather depends on what you're doing. My advice is to leave robots to vacuuming.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture

lol. yah i agree. So its seems that mass freind adders and forum posters arent technically illegal in court, unless you cause soem major damage. correct?
  11. Type Cast Exception

Let's step back from the legal world for a second.

I notice you reference an MTV Marketing book. Are you a musician or band trying to promote yourselves? Do you really think that an automated "friend adder" process or mass posted promotions are going to reflect positively on what it is you are trying to promote? When you receive an email promoting a product does that make you want to buy it, or does it make you angry that someone is wasting your time and filling up your email box? There's a reason why most spam is for things that are borderline illegal (prescription pharmaceuticals without a prescription, anyone?). No legitimate company in their right mind uses these tools for promoting a real business.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture

No i wasnt talking about ethics or etiquiette. waht i am simply talking about is trying to ascertain whether or not these practices are deemed legal in the laws point of view. and i am simply trying to attain knowledge on the subjuect theoretically, im not actually participating in these things. so i guess it still stands that in theory, not including user agreements, these types of activities are fully legal by law. this seems to be the gist so far that i understand. so in doing these practices no one ia breachinig any law they are simply acting in a way deemed inappropriate by the website. correct? i am trying to get a better picture of social media and the techniques used by those who engage in it. Oh and by the way the book was called MySpaceProfitMonster put out by MTV press.
  15. Type Cast Exception

There are courts of laws that decide everything case by case. I've studied entertainment law for my own knowledge but I'm no lawyer. I have heard of a number of laws that have been used when trying criminally bad offenders. Others just get hit with litigation. If you use a botnet to enslave computers for a spam campaign then you are intruding into that computer and there are laws against that for sure. This is how many spam mailings are done, and it's also why most of the origins of such are beyond the reach of American authorities. Even still I believe there have been a couple people extradited for such. If it's an auto-friender then facebook could litigate itself. They might even be able to file criminal charges for intrustion or blatant violation of service terms. Most of the time you'd likely just receive a cease and desist that you should regard if your activity isn't outrageous.

But fully legal, no. It's mostly whether someone really wants to bother pressing charges and prosecuting. Most criminal charges involve fraud and/or intrustion but that's not the full extent of it. As I mention there's a possibility other non-tech laws can apply as well.

Here's explicit cybercrime laws
    cybercrime laws

If you are trying to make yourself appear anonymous and hide your identity or impersonate then counterfeiting may apply. Ironically, it's usually better legally to leave an audit trail. It's easier to feign ignorance that way. "I just really wanted a million friends! Who doesn't?"
    Last edited by medialint; November 12th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    medialint.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo