1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

new matchmaker site, how do i get users?

I've created a new matchmaker site.. I'm having trouble getting people to join b/c there's no one to search for on the site yet. Well not enough anyway. I was curious is anyone knew how sites like friendster.com or myspace.com were able to generate so many users so soon. If anyone have knowledge about the secret of how to generate users please let me know. I alreayd passed out a few thousand flyers with only ~5 users responding.
    I currently have 170 users. If anyone has info to help me I'd be grateful.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If possible offer services for free for few months. Once you have some 1000 odd members - you can start charging and once you do that, incorporate new features - making sure that there is always something new and exciting on the site.

Goodluck....
  5. Back after 2 years!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

If you really want to succeed, I highly recommend looking into Google's Advertising solutions, located at http://www.google.com/ads/, especially with the release of Gmail that should be coming soon....

Edit: sorry, posted the wrong URL
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

google adds

Yeah google adds should work, advertising on tv would work to. I have a feeling most site like, friendster, myspace, findapix, facethejury, etc. didn't start out with a huge budget. I'm trying to find out what's the common things to do.

Thanks for you time.

Angelo
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

I think that most important is whether this kind of websites already exists. If yes then it will be very hard to gain popularity and lots of users. When it comes to developing site that will be the first one of a kind then main thing is to gain as much users as possible. You should add many different functionalities to your site: forum, chatroom etc. So people will find your site interesting and will come back. They even suggest it to their friends.
    For example, here in Estonia, we have rate.ee and it's very popular dating site - over 150 000 registered users. After you have quite good userbase you can start earning money by offering advertisement on your site.
    Start advertising your site on local news portal. How much uses will join depends mainly what you can offer them.

So little bit patience and luck is all you need.
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Also make your product different and highlight the differences.

What sets you apart, specifically from three main competitors:
    lavalife
    eharmony
    match.com
    ?

Have you tried all three of their services to evaluate them, along with others? If not, do so. Pay the membership fees and become a member to see how it works. You don't have to go on a date, but atleast feign sincerity.

How can you recruit users of classified ads and free classified ad services such as craigslist? No, you don't spam craigslist! Instead, try to see if there's anything to the concept of craigslist which might benefit your own site. I repeat: no, do NOT spam craigslist. You *will* become marked and blacklisted.

Market research. That means: research your target market. Research in this case involves a lot of talking to people.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo