1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Do Meta Engines Get Permission From The Searchengines To Display Their Results ?

Boys & Girls, Hard Ladies & Gentlemen, Newbies & Oldbies,

How are you all tonight ? Fine & ok, I am sure!

I have a few questions for you regarding meta engines and I need your intelligent inputs! :winky:
    I was researching on the top 10 meta engines by reading their reviews and I hardly came across any that uniquely differed from the others or stood out from the crowd. Apart from startpage.com & ixquick.com who allow you to privately search without being tracked.

I'm thinking of starting a project to build one. But, I don't want to re-invent the wheel by building just another usual meta engine. Has to be unique in some way and so any suggestions welcome from the features point of view.
    I am thinking of building one that ranks the links based on how many meta engine referred visitors are visiting the links. Meaning, based on visitor count. Visitors sent by the meta engine. I think from a users point of view, they'd want to visit the crowded links first just like in real life we visit the crowded offline stores over the less crowded ones.
    I have some more features but I'm not bothered now to mention them. Just incase you all get bored.

Anyway, I have one question that is bugging me, lately. These meta engines, they show results from more than one searchengine. Right ? Show from Google, Yahoo, etc. But when they do that, do they not breach copyright law ? I don't think these meta engines go around asking permissions from the traditional searchengines whether they can display their search results to their (meta engine's) users. Now do they ? Or, maybe the traditional searchengines don't care whether the meta engines ask for their permissions or not prior to listing their results because they are happy they are getting the traffic from these meta engines ? What do you think ?

I have to make sure, I stay on the safe-side of the law. And no. I can't be running off to a lawyer when everytime a serious question arises in my mind. I'll go bankrupt! Just looking for answers based on basic common sense.

Thanks! :smiley:
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; July 6th, 2017 at 06:48 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No one know the answer ?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Anyone have any experience with meta engines ? Know the answer to my questions ?
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by UniqueIdeaMan
    I have to make sure, I stay on the safe-side of the law. And no. I can't be running off to a lawyer when everytime a serious question arises in my mind. I'll go bankrupt! Just looking for answers based on basic common sense.
    Then expect to pay our a whole lot more money when you get sued. You'll wish you took the time and expense when you could have.

No one here can give you any form of qualified legal advice, and asking things like this on the internet for "general" won't give you any real answer. I could say "just scrape the results, it's all good", but I could be (and probably am) wrong. The reason that I'd say that is that it's not me that has to worry about it when things go wrong.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Then expect to pay our a whole lot more money when you get sued. You'll wish you took the time and expense when you could have.

No one here can give you any form of qualified legal advice, and asking things like this on the internet for "general" won't give you any real answer. I could say "just scrape the results, it's all good", but I could be (and probably am) wrong. The reason that I'd say that is that it's not me that has to worry about it when things go wrong.
    I know what you mean as everyone always tell me like this and have been for yrs on other forums for a dacade now. And, I see answers like this given to others when they ask like me.
    Anyway, I wonder how come meta engines don't get sued then.
    Anyway, I can always workout a plan with the searchengines. Give them some incentive in return for allowing me to scrape their data.
    .exe bots always scrape searchengine results but they're not getting sued unless ofcourse they get too big and get attention. Which searchengine wants to sue every Tom, **** & Harry ? They'll go bankrupt sueing millions of programmers and program owners.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo