1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Move servers from their racks?

Does anybody have any advice on how to move servers from their racks? I'm realizing that it's simply too risky without some sort of tool. Anybody know of any equipment to help?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The equipment you need is a human, or preferably two of them, a screw driver and possibly a ladder. Rack mounting (or un-mounting) servers is a physical task that does not normally require a great deal of strength, precision or speed; so specialized equipment is really not necessary.

Even if you accidentally drop and break a server, chances are you would only do at most a few hundred dollars worth of damage to it (probably less than the cost of a specialized tool).

Exactly what aspect of it do you find to be too risky?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The equipment you need is a human, or preferably two of them, a screw driver and possibly a ladder. Rack mounting (or un-mounting) servers is a physical task that does not normally require a great deal of strength, precision or speed; so specialized equipment is really not necessary.

Even if you accidentally drop and break a server, chances are you would only do at most a few hundred dollars worth of damage to it (probably less than the cost of a specialized tool).

Exactly what aspect of it do you find to be too risky?
    My servers are pretty heavy (up to 100s of lbs). Some are also pretty expensive at that. I've successfully moved a couple of the lighter ones, but I can't take a risk with the remainder.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

100's of pounds for a single server? Wow, that's pretty hard-core.

If you are worried about the weight, you'll only need to get some sort of lift-truck (there's small ones that you can hire/rent) to support the weight of the server while you un-screw it from it's mounting points. That'd be all that you'd need. The only issue could be getting the lift around the rack case so you'll have to see if there's enough room there.

If you want to go low-tech there's also things like engine hoists, and even a long piece of timber with a couple of lifting slings around the server, one person at each end to take the weight, and move it onto a stable platform when it's free.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Maybe they say |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| on them ...
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

100's of pounds for a single server? Wow, that's pretty hard-core.
    NAS boxes weigh this much. That's why you mount them at the bottom of the rack so you can slide them directly onto a cart or hand truck.

If the server was mounted properly on rails, you shouldn't even need a screwdriver. Unclip the rails and slide it out. Don't drop it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Registered User

Originally Posted by tyrone61
    Does anybody have any advice on how to move servers from their racks? I'm realizing that it's simply too risky without some sort of tool. Anybody know of any equipment to help?
    This is why I like to stick with lite aluminum servers. Two monster servers take two people and are very proned to break when moved.

I suggest for the next buy find something very lite and even better one that doesn't require rails.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo