1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Online game website threaten to sue friend

A friend of mine previously joined a per to view ingame exploitations website. Where you get exploitations for an online video game role playing game. He tried to sell some tips of the game on Ebay as many do foolishly. And soon had the owner of that website e-mail him banning his account from their forums and claiming that he is using their information from their website as his ebay selling notice came up a day after his registering to their site. And would press legal copyright infringement charges against him. But my friend stated he had not had information that came from their website at all. And he truly did not. Wouldn't the owner of the website get in trouble himself for charging people to buy an exploit chain that he runs? How can one possibly get a lawyer,sue one individual,ruin their life,and get passed the law when they are doing something wrong on their own part. How do they get away with doing this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Im not good with law but plan on going to law school in the near future, but anyway...

This site that accused him seems pretty stupid. I've seen people sell Grand Theft Auto and The Sims cheats on eBay and have no problems with it. It really depends on the game. If its popular and there are dozens of sites with the cheats I don't see why that site would claim that the cheats are their content.

If your friend copied and pasted the content you may get in some trouble but if its his I'd try not to take this seriously on what they are saying they will do. Chances are the site is run by a bunch of bored teenagers trying to seem professional.

As for the site being in trouble for exploits the most the company that made the game can do is suspend your account, as I take that this is an online game.

Bottem line is this site probably will not be able to take legal action for such a petty thing, but you never know. Then again copyright infringement can be a big thing if the company actually has proof that they own the content. Which site was this anyway?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo