Thread: How to be paid

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to be paid

I am about to launch a ecommerce website for a company I work for. I manage the company but have no sort of partnership in it. All of the products that will be selling on the site are paid for and owned by the business owner. What I own is the entire website (created by myself). I will be the sole web admin and manager handling updates, sales and everything else. My question is, what would be an appropriate form of pay to ask. One time payment does not seem to be an option as this will be a full time deal. Should I ask for commission or would an hourly wage work. Thanks for the help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do a mix of salary + actual services rendered. "Services rendered" is sometimes broken down into how much work the humans have to put in and how much volume the system handles or is installed on. That's how most mid-range full support options work.

Try to work out a balance that will get you paid enough to support yourself and slowly pay back your initial efforts even when nothing has gone wrong, and still compensate you for the times you are awake from Friday night through Monday morning finger-plugging holes in the dyke and scrambling to get things fixed before the work week starts again.
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

It would be interesting to know how this:
    company I work for
    relates to:
    I own is the entire website
    How is you work relation the company? independent contractor? employee?
    Normally, if your an employee (aka "work for hire"), then the company have the rights to what you have created.

If you are independent, I think You should always make the price based on a wage/hour.
    The thing to decide is if the company should pay actual time usage on a specific task, "fixed price".
    A monthly "service" price/fee could also be an option, for example for support / bug fixing.
  7. No Profile Picture

The site was built 100% on my own free time. To make things a little more clear, this is a small llc not a giant corporation. I work directly with the owner of the business. How would the company own any part of my website other than the products on the site? I believe I would need to fulfill a contract stating I'm passing the creative license to whoever and agree to use my work to capitalize off of, same idea with Wordpress templates that people want to make money on. The site is my work not his, there fore I am more or less "licensing" the site out to him to use as another "store front" to sell product. I was not hired to build the site persay as my job, simply a skill I have and offered to render as long as we both make money off of it, hence my question.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I believe I would need to fulfill a contract stating I'm passing the creative license to whoever and agree to use my work to capitalize off of
    Not necessarily true. Many companies have clauses in their work agreements that state that already own whatever you do during your free time if it's related to their business.

The site is my work not his, there fore I am more or less "licensing" the site out to him to use as another "store front" to sell product
    Then do that. License it monthly/yearly as-is. That's your new salary. Also quote a rate for edits and updates, and be prepared to issue statements of work for everything he asks you to do.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

try for a revenue share, that way you are incentivised to do well

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo