1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

protecting your ideas

Ok - so I have a web based application that I have been developing that is very industry specific. It is nearly complete, the problem is that I do not have the means or really the desire to sell it properly.

I was thinking of talking to many of the big companies in the industry that do web development or software development (none who even have a related product) and seeing if I could give one of them exclusive rights to sell my product and just give me like 50% or something. so my question....

is this a good idea?
    my biggest fear is I walk in there, make a presentation, and thy say - hey - we can build that ourselves and they just steal my idea.
  3. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drifterlrsc
    is this a good idea?
    my biggest fear is I walk in there, make a presentation, and thy say - hey - we can build that ourselves and they just steal my idea.

Do your research and make sure that you show your idea only to people who have signed a confidentiality agreement. You might also consider formally copyrighting your work and getting all the small print taken care of. If another company has to do all that for you, you're not going to get 50%.

It's worth it to hire a lawyer to draft these agreements, because if your idea is any good, the other side is bound to have lawyers figuring out how to get out of it the first time things go badly.
  5. No Profile Picture

I think your idea is very good, but I do agree with keedlebee. If your program is really at that high of a level, you need to contact a legal professional (Intellectual Property Lawyer) to explain to you your best route.