1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Rules for quoting copyrighted content....

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a ballpark idea as to what the rules/laws/guidelines are for using copyrighted content from other websites on your own commercial website. Obviously you can't claim "fair use" for everything, so I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's possible, and what's not.

More specifically, I've got an idea for a site that will scrape a bunch of other sites to create an uber portal of sorts for that topic of interest. The data that gets scraped would be used to assist in searching for and sorting individual elements that exist on all of the sites that have been scraped. The specific piece of content from each of the sites (that was used in the search/sort) would be displayed and linked back to the original content where the details can be found. The site would be a sort of feeder site that would funnel users to the more detailed original content once they're able to narrow their search.

I've seen other site do similar things, but I'm wondering how much liability they're exposing themselves to?

Anyway, thanks for any help or comment. It's very appreciated.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd read some of the articles and visit the special interest sites that show up when you search: search engines and copyright like most things involving copyright there are gray areas. In this case there's a lot more gray than black and white.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your response medialint. I think I'll take your advice, and start doing a lot of reading on the subject. I'll also keep checking this thread, so If anyone else would like to offer their expertise or experience on the topic, it would be appreciated.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In a case like this, it will all come down to how much content you are presenting from the site, but more about how you are presenting it. If you are making sure that visitors know that it's a phrase/paragraph from another site, then you should be alright. But I would also suggest always including alink to that site so that users can get more info from it, and the author of the site can see that you're not trying to claim anything of theirs as your own.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo