1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to safely hire a programmer?

Hi - I have an idea for an online site and would need to hire a programmer to build it. Do you have any ideas how I can protect my idea? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Andrew
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well at the very least you're going to want a non-disclosure agreement

Comments on this post

• kalesh agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Re:

Completely agree with making them sign an NDA.

I always sign-off a legal contract on projects, I would recommend you do the same. There's only so much you can do before going out and getting a patent.

With all the website ideas floating around the already huge amount of sites - there's bound to be people with similar ideas already and just yet no will to execute them.
  7. No Profile Picture

I am sorry but I wonder how NDA effect in international business relationship, say, I hire programmer from digital point , they sign NDA with me, but we live in different country. after I funding my idea, and the idea become real he take it and away with password protected access I hardly login , what do you think of this how NDA can help me in international business
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Use Rentacoder and get them to sign up to an NDA. You can do it all via the site. Its very safe and if you need a NDA they will be vetted first.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Use Rentacoder and get them to sign up to an NDA. You can do it all via the site. Its very safe and if you need a NDA they will be vetted first.
  13. Plays with fire
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

A properly prepared contract will include NDA language and be a much more comprehensive and effective document to protect you.

I've been hosed once too often by a client to work without a contract ever again.

Any hesitancy to sign a contract should be eliminated by simply clarifying the notion it is intended to protect BOTH parties. Your contracts should be specific and detailed and, if you can afford it, reviewed by a lawyer.
    “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -- Horace Mann

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by mv5869
    I have also been curious about this especially when dealing with programmers from say India or other parts of the world. I've looked at sites such eLance and I believe they screen the people you can hire. But that doesn't guarantee someone won't steal your idea - has anyone worked with a programmer from another country? If so, how do you handle the NDA? Did you fax it to them and had them fax the signed copy back?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If so, how do you handle the NDA? Did you fax it to them and had them fax the signed copy back?
    Signing the NDA isn't the problem, it's enforcing it. You could take a coder from India to court in the United States, and you would probably win the case too because it's unlikely that they even show up. But it's really an empty victory, because there is no way an American court can make them pay damages or stop doing something.

Your only real option is to hire a lawyer in the other country (since you probably don't speak their language or understand their laws) and file the suit in the other country, assuming of course that the other country's laws support civil law suits, recognize NDA's as legally binding documents and allow foreigners to file suits in their court system. Unless the project is worth many tens of thousands of dollars you will undoubtedly spend more trying to sue the other person than you will recover.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  19. No Profile Picture

I agree with E-Oreo on this one. If the project is worth tons to you, spend the money and have a lawyer protect you. NDA is of course a good recommend to.

If it's something that is only $1k-$5k, you'll quickly spend that much in court fees.

This is also why I try to go with trusted, recommends from colleagues and friends. Much less likely to screw you over, as opposed to a stranger halfway around the world.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo