1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to Start My Own Hosting Company and Domain Register

Hey guys….

Does anyone know the cheapest yet the best way to start offering hosting on one of my websites. I also want to start allowing people to register domains on the site as well. I would really like to start something like hostdime.com There services are awesome, and the company is pretty new…Can anyone advise me on how to start something similar?

Thanks to all who might reply.
  3. No Profile Picture

Well - I think I would recommend going with a vps now a days. They are as cheap as a reseller and give you a lot more control.

Preferablly I would go with a company who has a good reputation and many years in the business. This way you don't have to worry about downtime and loosing your clients.

As for offering domains I would recommend investing the 100 dollars or w.e it is to get a reseller account from enom or one of those sorts of sites.

If you need further help, feel free to e-mail me - t.vowles[@]thenynoc[.]com
  5. No Profile Picture

check out media temple, great customer service and GREAT hosting options. very affordable. (don't work for them, just have been a customer for years!)
  7. No Profile Picture

But how can you regist whit icann ?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gamerj

very good question
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The requirements to become an actual registrar are strict and costly. If you're just starting out you will not be able to become a registrar, you'll need to settle for domain reselling. If your company is big enough to be a registrar you will not be reselling or using vps's, you'll have to own physical servers and either have them colocated at a datacenter or own your own datacenter.

For example, the application fee for icann is $2500 - non-refundable. The $2500 is merely to process your application, it does not mean that your application will be accepted at all and if it isn't accepted you will not get your money back.

If your company is accepted the cost is $4000/yr + an additional monthly fee which varies from month to month.

In order to become a registrar your company must have at least $70,000 in available capital.

As you can see, unless you're planning on owning your own servers and have major investors there is absolutely no chance of becoming a registrar with icann. All the info on this is available here: http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm
  13. Contributing User

Buy good reseller hosting package and start working as reseller, this will be good for start-up.
  15. No Profile Picture

try freeparking.co.nz
  17. No Profile Picture

Reselling package is the way to go. Another division of our company is doing the same here in China

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo