1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Terms of Service Help

I want to put together a brief Terms of Service page for my website, and I was hoping to find a few pointers. I found a great Privacy Policy generator over at http://www.the-dma.org/privacy/privacypolicygenerator.shtml, and I was hoping for something similar, but I'm open to anything. Any guidance you can offer would be most welcome.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on what your site is, does, if it is commercial or a community site, etc.

Here is one I came up with, which I think pretty much covers it. Keep in mind, however, that it's a community site offering free entertainment (a game -- still in development) and has no advertising. So, basically, it's whatever rules I want to make. No lawyer required.

By registering and participating in the Modular Citizen game or the discussion boards you agree to these terms:

* Thou shalt not attempt to register a user name which is offensive or libelous.

* Thou shalt not post message content to any discussion area of modularcitizen.com which is offensive or libelous.

* Thou shalt not SPAM the message forums nor flood the message forums with rapid or repetitious posts nor post quantities of nonsense (randomly typed characters, for example)

* Thou shalt not attempt to hack or subvert modularcitizen.com's server or the game code.

* Thou shalt not attempt to surreptitiously obtain the modularcitizen.com game source code nor any databases nor data streams.

* Thou shalt not abuse the registration form by providing a falsified e-mail address.

* Thou shalt not impersonate the site owner "webmaster" nor moderators.

* Thou shalt play fair and not attempt to cheat.

* Thou shalt not launch a denial of service attack on the server nor attempt to use the server to launch such an attack on other servers.

* Thou shalt not attempt to gain access to sendmail or any other mailer programs for the propogation of commercial e-mail nor for any other purpose.

* Thou shalt not insult other users.

* Violation of any of these provisions shall lead to expulsion.

In addition you understand that:

* modularcitizen.com is a privately operated site and is operated as a free service under no obligation to continue service. Any or all parts of the site, including user data, may be removed at any time and for any reason.

* The site owner is not obligated to make any revisions to the game code or correct any errors.

* The site owner is not obligated to ensure that player data is backed up nor restored in event of server failure.

* The site owner or forum moderators are not obligated to provide technical assistance of any kind.

* The site owner is not responsible for loss of productivity due to users playing from educational institutions or places of employment; further, the site owner will make no attempt to discern a user's location nor attempt to block access from any location at the request of an employer or educational institution. Site owner suggests that if this is an issue that said workplace or institution utilize proxy facilities to deny access to this site.

* The site owner is a nice guy who wrote all this code himself, by hand, in notepad, in his spare time and is not charging for this service. Additionally, he has not received any grants nor payments from advertisers and is paying for this site's resources out of pocket. Violating any terms or attempting to abuse this site in any way qualifies you as a certified swine.
    Contrast that, however, to the TOS of the likes of Microsoft, eBay, Amazon, etc. which have legal obligations to cover. So, if you're like me just have fun but if you really need a legal document, nothing beats a lawyer for spinning legalease.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wow -- that's great! Thanks for submitting it; I really appreciate it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo