1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Urgent Help - First Client

Got my first client today. I need urgent help.

They have asked my to create a beauty salon website for there own business.

All they have asked, is for me to create a website for them, no further information given.. Well, I want to sound professional, so I'm not too sure what questions to ask them, could anyone help?

• Should they be sending me all the text information they want on there webpages, in paragraphs etc. Or should they only be giving me a very brief guide of there salon and I word everything myself?
    • If they want pictures of there salon, do I have to take the pictures myself, or do they send me them?

Just some tips on how to gather information on what they require would be grateful, I don't want to ask anything that will make me look unprofessional.

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,
    YKay.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by YKAY
    Congratulations! Here's hoping for many more in the future

[*]Should they be sending me all the text information they want on there webpages, in paragraphs etc. Or should they only be giving me a very brief guide of there salon and I word everything myself?
    I gather you're not familiar with the salon industry yourself. What you should do is a bit of both. First, ask them a few basic questions: for instance, what services does their salon offer, what are their working hours, how many people work there, a brief description of each of their services and house styles, do they sell shampoo and hair gel and what brands etc.

Then you can reword their descriptions and make them more professional (e.g.) correct spelling mistakes and grammatical errors from the text that they gave you, rewrite some of the descriptions to be more SEO friendly etc.

[*]If they want pictures of there salon, do I have to take the pictures myself, or do they send me them?
    How good of a photographer are you? If you are even a decent one, it is best to take your own pictures rather than rely on someone else to supply the pictures, because you are the one designing their website, not the person who took the pictures. Better still, if you show up at the shop with your own camera and gear, it gives them the impression that you're a real professional! After taking the pictures, make sure to choose the best ones and ask for feedback from the client about whether they like them or not, before incorporating them into the final website. They may want you to crop some images, for instance.

In general, it is best to keep the customer involved during the process, so that they know what they're getting. Ask for feedback, but don't be afraid to explain to them when you think some of their advice is BS and your way is better.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice, I have contacted them for the information I think is relevant.

Couple more questions.

• They are asking for a basic website, 5 pages. Home page, about us etc, including a contact form and a few pictures. Any ideas what I should charge for this? I'm not the best designer out there, but I'm not the worst.
    • Once I have created the website for them, do I have to update there website when ever they request, if so, how much would I charge?
  7. For POny!

give yourself an hourly rate. And just charge them the time you spend, correct it when it gets ridiculous. Or make it a fixed fee.

Make sure you have an idea about their budget. is it 50, 200, 500, 1000.

Ask what they expect of the website. Only good looking without any special options?

Don't forget the importance of a first client.If you do it good, you potentially get more clients via them. And hairdressers partially make a living, talking to ****s load of people. So they are capable of making or breaking you locally, while cutting of hair. Some clients are worth investing in more even if that means you earn little from it directly.
    Last edited by aeternus; February 18th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

They have asked my to create a beauty salon website for there own business.

All they have asked, is for me to create a website for them, no further information given.. Well, I want to sound professional, so I'm not too sure what questions to ask them, could anyone help?

• Should they be sending me all the text information they want on there webpages, in paragraphs etc. Or should they only be giving me a very brief guide of there salon and I word everything myself?
    • If they want pictures of there salon, do I have to take the pictures myself, or do they send me them?

Just some tips on how to gather information on what they require would be grateful, I don't want to ask anything that will make me look unprofessional.

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,
    YKay.
    Ask for a document containing their requirements. Don't start unless you get the requirements because later on you may have to change.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo