1. fan boy..................
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Visa Gift Card Detection

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anybody knows of a solution / service /gateway that has the capability of detecting a VISA gift card.

the reason why I would need such detection is to prevent a client from registering for one of our continuity programs with no hopes of successfully re billing the card at a future date.

Thanks
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

All the ones I've ever gotten have a cardholder name of GIFT RECIPIENT, barring anyone that actually has that name that's one way I guess.

I would suspect most have a certain card # range ... but the people that would really know are the card issuers (Visa/MC/Discover/Et al)

I don't know why you'd go out of your way to avoid this directly: is this a particular problem for your business? I'd think you'd handle it the same way you'd handle an expired/over the limit card that bounces back.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by medialint
    All the ones I've ever gotten have a cardholder name of GIFT RECIPIENT, barring anyone that actually has that name that's one way I guess.
    I have 2 that that have my name on the card... so not sure that would work either.

I also know some people that purchase the prepaid credit cards.... From what I've noticed, the ranges for the cards all seem to be of valid range... don't think there's anything noticeably different as far as certain ranges to gift recipients (or even prepaids).

I don't believe that there's any way to distinguish between a prepaid, gift, or normal credit card as they all fall within the applicable ranges of card numbers.

But as medialint stated, you'd just need to handle it the same way as expired or over the limit cards that bounce back.
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I also know some people that purchase the prepaid credit cards....
    Well a prepaid would basically be a debit card that works as a credit card, which is all I use. Aside from the occasional rental car company I never have a problem using my debit card anywhere a credit card is required. My balance happens to be ample (five digits), but there's no way of knowing how much I have available from the merchant end until they try to run it. I don't think its a good idea to get into the habit of filtering out various types of cards if they run as a Visa, just treat them as a Visa unless this is a problem you are encountering a lot ... else you risk alienating customers.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo