1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whopping problem

Don't confuse me with an IT manager. I'm a marketing guy with a computer problem:

PART I
    a) I am developing an application (X), a database-intensive app which loads product and uses math calculations
    b) I expect to connect med-large websites (my future clients) to it, whose content is appropriate
    c) Client's visitors will see ads for the application on client's website and desire access to it
    d) Visitors will be charged by credit card for the access

PART II
    e) I would like the client to process his visitor's credit card (I don't want to)
    f) After 30 days I'll bill my client for 30% of the revenue from his visitors

So, how do I track the useage and subsequent revenue/billing for each client? Can I do this if the application (X) resides on my server? I imagine it would be more comfortable for my client if all the activity were happening on HIS web server and we'd move the entire app to his server for that purpose. But this makes maintenance a hassle, doing it for each client - unless their own people maintain it...hmmm. It's gotta also be pretty intensive trying to get the app onto the client's server in the first place.

I dunno. I'd guess this isn't an uncommon problem and some of you out there have been there, done that. I have not.

Maybe I should change my revenue model. Just lease the app to the client...?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You should use content management system. it can resolve your all needs. it provides web development , payment services, promotion services for your web site.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There's three options for doing this, and there's good and bad points for each.

1. Run the entire system on your own server/servers

Good parts are that you can kepe control over everything, maintian your own billing and everything is in a single spot. Bad part is that means that you are repsonsible for keeping everything working.

2. Install the system client side.

Good parts is that you don't need to maintain the system to keep it running. Bad parts is that you basically loose all control over it.

3. Run the system on the clients servers that connects to an API system on your servers.

The good part of this is that it lets you control how the system works, but takes some of the load off your server. The bad part is that this you still need to od things centrally.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo