1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Copyright Infringement

So I am working on a website for private jets (www.mkmair.com) and want to use photos from Bombardier, Cessna, and Boeing. How should I go about getting permission from the companies?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

why would they possibly do you for copyright infringement. what you are doing is benefitting them
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"why would they possibly do you for copyright infringement. what you are doing is benefitting them"

They are copyrighted for a reason...

I developed an airline website a few years ago, and I emailed many photographers about using some photos for free, and out of maybe ten (including two companies), I only received permission to use one photographer's images for free. The rest wanted in the neighbourhood of $300 per image.

So email the companies/photographers, because most don't "work for free". They want royalties and credit.

To say that you can use any picture from any company because your effectively "advertising" for them -- your dead wrong.

Scott
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The issue is not copyright. The issue here is - if you aren't sure protect yourself by asking first. And asking is quite simple - call Bombardier, Cessna or whoever - when you reach the receptionist - use this script:

"Good Morning, this is {insert name} from {insert company},
    If I can get your help please, could you direct me to a contact in the marketing department?"

When you get that person you can kindly explain your scenario and the photos you would like to use, you will not have been the first person to ask - and if they can't help you ask them to direct you to the person who can.

But don't ever go blindly on copyright issues - some larger corporations don't take kindly to it.

Best of Luck!
    I need help, but I think I'm beyond help.
  10. No Profile Picture

Arrow Copyright and Photos--a response to very old posting

This is a short reply to what appears is a very out-dated posting about copyright and photographs. If a photograph is in the public domain, it's free. If it was released by the owner (or right's holder) for public relations purposes, then again, it probably can be used for free.

Of course, there is another issue. Unless the photograph has a (c) marking together with certain statutory language (Berne convention nothwithstanding), you have certain rights which you can discuss with your IP lawyer (hint! hint! hint!).

Steve Schiffman
    Attorney-at-Law
    New York

WTOLawyer@aol.com
    trademarklicensing@bonbon.net
    schiffman@lawadvisor.org

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo