1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using mastercard, visa, american express logos

Hi,

I read the threat about copyright infringement and using other companies logos.

However I think we've seen lots of sites and shops that say they accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express credit cards.

I'm a web developer and my client wants those 3 logos on the homepage (to say that the company accepts those 3 credit cards).

Has anyone used them directly? Or is there a legal issue?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture

If I were you, I'd feel comfortable using the card logos, but not the actual corporate logos, and just make sure that your use of the logos does not come across as "confusing" to the customer. Meaning you don't want the site visitor to think you're a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express site.

Hope that helps
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks a lot Yeah I think I'll go ahead and use them, noted what you said
  7. No Profile Picture

Arrow Get permission first! Dont be victim of law suit!

While I understand your desire to use registered trademarks of credit card companies, they are STILL protected.

Take the following as unofficial advice, since I have no retainer and thus not a legal relationship.

In other words, rely upon it as your own risk but NOT because I said it!! (Required disclaimer!)

This is not my legal opinion but rather....general observation(s):

1. Ask your client whether he/she has written agreements with the banks?

2. Ask whether the agreements provide for use by vendors et al of their respective logos and trademarks?

If you dont get a positive answer, with supporting documentation, you have two choices:

a. See an attorney (like myself...hint hint hint) to determine what documentation/permission you need;
    b. Use the phrase "we accept leading bank credit cards"' but do NOT use the names or logos if they are registered trademarks.

That's the answer in a very succinct way.

Steve Schiffman, MA, JD, LLM
    Attorney-at-Law
    New York, NY
    schiffman@lawadvisor.org
    Last edited by MrLawyer; August 25th, 2004 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Proper disclaimer!
  9. No Profile Picture

Does your client have a merchant account?

My company has an online merchant account that allows us to accept major credit cards. When I set up the account, the providing bank sent me a package containing the cc logos. These are also available for use on the web site.

So the question is really: "Is your client a valid credit card merchant?". This can be either online or off. So long as they have a legitimate merchant account or use a provider that accepts the cards, then there is no problem using the logos.

Regards,

WTG
  11. Back after 2 years!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You can get a free electronic artwork for Mac and Windows in various file formats for the different credit card companies:

Visa: http://www.visafulfillment.com/visam...ct.asp?id=2950

Mastercard: http://www.mastercardbrandcenter.com...pertDownloader

I'm sure American Express, Discover, etc. provide similar services.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo