1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice on dealing with customer for web developer

Hi, I've developed a site for a guy for his business. It was a very casual kind of agreement and I said since it's my first paying website job that I'd do him a cheap deal.

The site is nearly done now and hosted at the moment on my own paid for webspace. It's only around a dozen pages with no DB and just a smidgen of php.

I'd like advice on what to charge him, the site is here, http://www.magikwebs.co.uk/ranch/ (I know there are some crossbrowser issues, there won't be by the time I deliver it to him). I'd thought about 250 to 300.

Also I want advice about hosting and domain name registration for him. I favour getting him his own hosting and a domain name pointing to it. If I pay to set these up, would I register them in his name? I don't want them sending me reminders when renewal time comes round.

Or am I thinking wrong? Should I offer to host for him? I use www.webmania.co.uk and don't know if I can set up a new domain name thru www.1and1.co.uk to point to a seperate directory on my host server without nasty web forwarding or using an iframe.

Any other tips to look out for so I don't trip up? Clearly future paid for projects will have a contract and tie these things down up front.

Cheers,

John.
  3. No Profile Picture
    No longer a Weby!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hey,
    I suggest a strategic business plan. This means to work directly with a host or provider to work with you.

Im Kevin from WebsiteUnited... maybe you want to do this with us? Basically, the client goes to us, you get your share of pay, and we take care of registrant and hosting information.

Please get back to me,
    Kind Regards,
    Kev ~ No longer a Weby
  5. toaster pastry

domain name: godaddy.com (aprox 7-9 dollars for a year)
    Godaddy has the best prices on the net for domain names and it doesn't fluctuate much from about 8 bucks.

hosting: chronichosting.com (affordable)
    Chronichosting has good service, good prices, good plans and nice people. I host with them and have had no problems as aposed to my last host that was more expensive, had a fancier website, etc.

Oh and ALWAYS tack down AT LEAST a price range before starting work. You will get screwed in this business if you dont lay things down cut and dry
  7. No Profile Picture
    No longer a Weby!

Hello,
    Yea, I talk a lot with Chronic Hosting. They are affordable, a good solution as well.

Maybe you should bring this to the hosting requests forum
    Kind Regards,
    Kev ~ No longer a Weby
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, I went with 1&1 for a domain name, only 3.98 for .co.uk for 2years. Can't host on my webspace as they don't do ADDON, whatever that means. So I need to get him some cheap webspace with PHP support. I'll probably go back to web-mania 'cause I like them and there cheap enough.

Any advice about pricing the site. (I know it's hard to say and if you think it's not worth a lot just say and I'll try hard not to cry too much )

Cheers,

John.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo