1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Costs of running a large website?

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a quick list of all the outgoings that are going to occur for our website.

So far i've got the renewal of the domain name, hosting on a dedicated server(s), marketing.... is there anything else?

Thanks
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is it going to create/update/maintain itself or do you have some sort of staff? ;-) Licensed content?

A "large" website means little to me. They all look about the same size on my screen, ya' know?
    Last edited by medialint; February 9th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A "large" website means little to me. They all look about the same size on my screen, ya' know?
    Thanks for the reply, and point well made

It'll eventually be a website advertising thousands of villa's, with a fair amount of traffic going through it.

The website will be maintained by villa owners, with the web development done by myself and the finance/administration done by my business partner.

It's really just a small start-up at the moment so we won't have any staff for the time being.
  7. Contributing User

If the core business is dependent on the website, I would recommend considering business continuity / disaster recovery from the beginning. In other words, what will your response be when the site (for whatever reason) fails, and how long acceptable for the site to be down?

If the process for getting your site active in answer to question (1) takes longer than (2) currently, then you may want to look at working up a continuity plan. This may also have ongoing costs associated.

"Leaving it until the site is more established" often results in it only being addressed after the outage.
    ServWise Advanced Hosting - Better, Faster, Smarter
    Linux and Windows Hosting, Shared and Reseller, Low cost domains and SSL
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by paulkoan
    If the core business is dependent on the website, I would recommend considering business continuity / disaster recovery from the beginning. In other words, what will your response be when the site (for whatever reason) fails, and how long acceptable for the site to be down?

If the process for getting your site active in answer to question (1) takes longer than (2) currently, then you may want to look at working up a continuity plan. This may also have ongoing costs associated.

"Leaving it until the site is more established" often results in it only being addressed after the outage.
    Thanks, useful to know, I'll look into it.
  11. No Profile Picture

large quantity site is no big deal as long the site in their is not set with autoblog plugin or any automation script that can make your hosting jam and out of service
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For something like this, marketing and phone calls will be your biggest cost.

Villas will generally each be owned by a private individual, so you are setting up an agreement with thousands of seperate people, each of whom wants to know why you are worth paying, how they will know you are the source of their bookings etc.

The web hosting costs will be low in comparison with that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo